Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: G-MAC Basketball

Default Re: G-MAC Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by kdubnation View Post
    So let's talk about Cedarville MBB for a sec. The Jackets are no joke this year. Won at Malone tonight by 11. Currently on top of the G-MAC standings at 5-1 with the lone loss being against Hillsdale. Their 5 wins include a solid 13 point win over Findlay.

Now, that said, they've also lost to Kentucky State (yikes), Shawnee State (NAIA), and Quincy. Lake Superior State got them by 2 at Lake State (not a bad loss), Florida Southern by 3 at FloSo (also not a bad loss). Even with those losses, I see them as a genuine threat to win the conference, which would be bad news for the rest of the conference as I've always felt they are one of the toughest teams to beat on their own court, even when they're not having a particularly good year, and as you know, the regular season champ hosts the conference tourney.

The top 4 or 5 teams in the conference are really pretty evenly matched this season. Findlay still looks like the "team to beat" in the conference, but when you stack them all together I'm not sure there's that much difference between Cedarville, Findlay, Hillsdale, Ohio Dom, and maybe Walsh. We seem to have some really good teams this season, and some pretty bad teams (looking at Trevecca & D&E in particular). This year's KWC team has the feel of a team stuck right in the middle. We're certainly not the worst team in the conference (I feel like we've proven that already). I'm not sure we can win against those top 4 or 5, but at the same time it's hard to fathom the bottom dwellers beating us.
    Well said. Findlay has had close HOME games with Walsh, Malone and Lake Erie and still have to meet them on the road. Have yet to play Hillsdale and this week they're on the West Virginia road trip. The Oilers will have to improve to end up on top of the GMAC. On the bright side they lost AT Cedarville so maybe a better result at home. KWC is a big question mark for me but I think they will be a tough win. Who knows, but should be a down to wire race for GMAC title.

Yes, it’s been a good year so far for both our men’s and women’s teams. Im convinced that the women are a very good team. I’m not yet convinced that the men are. I think they are pretty good, but I have a feeling that they surprised a few teams the first time. There will be no element of surprise from here out. That said, I hope they prove my suspicions wrong. Go Jackets!

3. Default Re: G-MAC Basketball

GMAC may well come down to avoiding the bad loss. See Walsh's loss at Travecca and Hillsdale losing Thursday to AB. Cedarville at Walsh today in a big game, especially at home for Walsh. Ky. Wesleyan is obviously the surprise team and finds themselves right in the middle of the race. Going to be a fun 2 months in the GMAC.

4. Default Re: G-MAC Basketball

WBB will also be interesting.

Hillsdale MBB almost lost today but pulled out late

5. Default Re: G-MAC Basketball

The fight to get into the GMAC tourney looks to be a nine-team fight for eight spots. Unless OVU, Tiffin, D&E or TNU finds lightning in a bottle they are just spoilers at this point. Findlay, Ohio Dominican, Cedarville, Walsh, Hillsdale, Kentucky Wesleyan, Lake Erie, AB and Malone seem to be in the fight to get in. Only 1 will not. Findlay and ODU play on Thursday. Winner takes the drivers seat to host the tourney.

Saturday, January 19 Hillsdale at Findlay game has been moved up to 1 pm., women's game will begin at 11:00 am. Forecast of incoming snowstorm is reason for adjustment.

CU got a nice win against ODU tonight - which moves CU ahead of the Panthers in the standings. First time in a long time that I put a jackets game on the big tv and sat down and watched the majority of a game. Nice crowd - certainly more than I've seen in a while. This team has more depth than usual - allowing a real nice player rotation off the bench. I really like freshmen Quinton Green and Branden Maughmer.

AB 78 D&E 57 in Philippi today. AB improves to 6-6 in GMAC play.
    Go Battlers!

AB defeats Ohio Valley, 02-16-19.
    Go Battlers!

Alderson Broaddus rallied to beat Kentucky Wesleyan yesterday.

https://gobattlers.com/news/2019/2/2...gQEitUDmATR-dA
    Go Battlers!

xxxxxx
    [I'm an idiot]
    xxxxxx
    Last edited by schnautza; 02-28-2019 at 10:28 AM.

12. Default Re: G-MAC Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by schnautza View Post
    Interesting observation I just noticed in my database...looking at only D2 competition, the G-MAC has the best out-of-conference record across all 24 conferences (69.9%).
    They also have the highest average P.I. out of all 24 conferences (12.50).

It seems to me that the recent additions of several GLIAC teams have really turned the GMAC into a formidable basketball conference.

I'm sure somebody will ask, so I'll report that the GLVC is 7th and the GLIAC is 10th in average PI. The GLVC is 6th and the GLIAC is 13th in non-conference win%.
    Yet they are a 2-bid league this year at best while the GLVC is possibly a 4-bid league!?!

Why do you think that is so?

Thanks for sharing. Surprised.

14. Default Re: G-MAC Basketball

Not trying to downplay the accomplishment of having the best out of conference record, but would that have anything to do with who the out of conference opponents were? Obviously if they played a lot of weak out of conference teams they would likely have a high winning percentage, not saying that is the case here but just wondering if the strength of the out of conference competition was taken into account.

Interesting observation I just noticed in my database...looking at only D2 competition, the G-MAC has the best out-of-conference record across all 24 conferences (69.9%).
    They also have the highest average P.I. out of all 24 conferences (12.50).

It seems to me that the recent additions of several GLIAC teams have really turned the GMAC into a formidable basketball conference.

I'm sure somebody will ask, so I'll report that the GLVC is 7th and the GLIAC is 10th in average PI. The GLVC is 6th and the GLIAC is 13th in non-conference win%.
    Good info. to know. Thank you. Go GMAC!
    Go Battlers!

Quote Originally Posted by WKYDave View Post
    Yet they are a 2-bid league this year at best while the GLVC is possibly a 4-bid league!?!

Why do you think that is so?
    Possibly one bid conference if Findlay wins GMAC tourney and GLVC a 5 team bid (look out for Drury)

17. Default Re: G-MAC Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by KnightStalker View Post
    Possibly one bid conference if Findlay wins GMAC tourney and GLVC a 5 team bid (look out for Drury)
    If Drury beats Indy in first round of GLVC Tournament, I think Indy is out of NCAA.

Well, this is embarrassing. The sheet that I was referencing that data off of had some weird errors in the formulas (probably from sorting and filtering) so lines were getting crossed between conferences. I've fixed it and I can tell you that I was flat out wrong on all of my claims. Please disregard my previous post. I've blanked it out so as not to confuse anybody further.

To set the record straight,
    GLVC - average PI = 11.80 (#10), average nonconf win% = 50.5% (#13)
    GLIAC - average PI = 12.13 (#5), average nonconf win% = 51.6% (#11)
    GMAC - average PI = 11.31 (#19), average nonconf win% = 45.8% (#17)
    Last edited by schnautza; 02-28-2019 at 10:28 AM.

If anybody's curious about who's played what quality of competition, here's an overly detailed breakdown.
    Summary:
    Way above average GMAC teams played average GLIAC teams.
    Moderately above average GLVC teams played way above average GMAC teams.
    Way above average GLVC teams played moderately under average GLIAC teams.

GMAC:
    average win% of nonconference opponents ONLY: 49.9%
    breakdown by conference - [average win% of select opponents], [average win% of entire conference]: (this indicates whether the teams played were above/below average for teams in that conference)
    (22) GLIAC - 50.2%, 50.3%
    (15) GLVC - 53.8%, 50.2%
    (10 MEC - 53.7%, 51.2%
    (6) PSAC - 32.9%, 49.8%
    (5) IND - 48.4%, 31.8%
    (5) SIAC - 47.2%, 43.3%
    (4) SSC - 45.5%, 53.8%
    (3) GSC - 60.3%, 50.0%
    (1) CIAA - 22.7%, 48.6%
    (1) ECC - 84.6%, 47.6%

GLVC:
    average win% of nonconference opponents ONLY: 53.3%
    breakdown by conference:
    (28) MIAA - 55.7%, 53.4%
    (25) GLIAC - 47.0%, 50.3%
    (15) GMAC - 58.7%, 49.0%
    (5) HC - 55.5%, 50.2%
    (5) NSIC - 43.3%, 50.2%
    (4) SSC - 63.1%, 53.8%
    (3) GAC - 46.5%, 49.5%
    (2) GSC - 61.3%, 50.0%
    (2) LSC - 73.4%, 52.9%
    (2) PWC - 65.4%, 48.5%
    (1) CC - 55.6%, 47.3%
    (1) IND - 0% (guess who?), 31.8%

GLIAC:
    average win% of nonconference opponents ONLY: 54.6%
    breakdown by conference:
    (25) GLVC - 60.5%, 50.2%
    (22) GMAC - 57.0%, 49.0%
    (4) GNAC - 33.6%, 51.2%
    (3) NSIC - 53.7%, 50.2%
    (2) HC - 43.9%, 50.2%
    (2) MEC - 45.2%, 51.2%
    (2) PSAC - 35.2%, 49.8%
    (1) CC - 32.0%, 47.3%
    (1) MIAA - 100% (guess who?), 53.4%
    (1) SIAC - 16.0%, 43.3%
    (1) SSC - 37.0%, 53.8%

20. Default Re: G-MAC Basketball

Well, this is embarrassing. The sheet that I was referencing that data off of had some weird errors in the formulas (probably from sorting and filtering) so lines were getting crossed between conferences. I've fixed it and I can tell you that I was flat out wrong on all of my claims. Please disregard my previous post. I've blanked it out so as not to confuse anybody further.

To set the record straight,
    GLVC - average PI = 11.80 (#10), average nonconf win% = 50.5% (#13)
    GLIAC - average PI = 12.13 (#5), average nonconf win% = 51.6% (#11)
    GMAC - average PI = 11.31 (#19), average nonconf win% = 45.8% (#17)
    Don't be so hard on yourself. You do an amazing job on this stuff and it is easy to imagine spreadsheet errors.