Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849 LastLast
Results 921 to 940 of 961

Thread: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

  1. #921

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    BTW - has anyone seen the G-MAC commercial that does a fly-over map of the conference and has 3D-ish logos and campus buildings pop up for each school? Its very well done. It is very similar to the one that the Big Ten does.

    edit: found it.

    https://youtu.be/wtTfflBuBKA
    Last edited by BlueBlood; 11-09-2018 at 02:03 PM.

  2. #922
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1740

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    maybe we are a soccer conference?
    Well, I don't know, but we are looking good as an all-around sports conference. I thought AB's men's soccer was pretty good this year and finished mid-pack. We are 3-0 so far in NCAA tournament games in both men's and women's soccer. We are also guaranteed to have one team in the regional final.

    I wonder how Ashland views this since OVU beat their women. I believe Ashland prides itself as having an overall balanced athletic program.

    The G-MAC commercial is straight from the Big Ten which is fine.

  3. #923
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1740

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    Hillsdale gets the 5th seed in football and travels to #4 Kutztown. I like that side of the bracket. PSAC got three schools in out of seven bids. Not sure I agree on that one. #7 SRU doesn't drop after getting beat by West Chester 33-10? I also thought ODU's resume' was much better than New Haven. ODU had 9 wins to New Haven's 8. ODU beat 3 teams with a winning record compared to 2 wins for New Haven over teams with a winning record. I don't get it.

    Ohio Valley men's soccer advances on penalty kicks to defeat Tiffin. OVU goes to the regional final.

    Tiffin lost in women's soccer to top seed.
    Last edited by JDonAB92; 11-11-2018 at 05:08 PM.

  4. #924
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1740

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    Ohio Valley men's soccer team wins the Midwest Region by defeating Saginaw Valley State 1-0.

    Congrats to the Fighting Scots!

  5. #925

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    The G-MAC updated the Presidents' Cup stats to include all Fall sports. It looks like they may have changed the scoring format.

    The conference now says that the Presidents' Cup will be awarded to the institution that collects the highest tally of points. It used to use a percentage that divided each schools points earned by the maximum points that school could have earned. Basically, you were only judged on the sports you participated in (with required sports outlined in the bylaws). For Presidents' Cup placement, a school was better off not participating in a non-required sport than fielding a sub-par team.

    If they are in fact changing the method, this will be more advantageous to those schools that play a lot of sports (whether they win or not). It will hurt schools that play less sports (even if they are very successfully at the sports they play).

  6. #926
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1740

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    The G-MAC updated the Presidents' Cup stats to include all Fall sports. It looks like they may have changed the scoring format.

    The conference now says that the Presidents' Cup will be awarded to the institution that collects the highest tally of points. It used to use a percentage that divided each schools points earned by the maximum points that school could have earned. Basically, you were only judged on the sports you participated in (with required sports outlined in the bylaws). For Presidents' Cup placement, a school was better off not participating in a non-required sport than fielding a sub-par team.

    If they are in fact changing the method, this will be more advantageous to those schools that play a lot of sports (whether they win or not). It will hurt schools that play less sports (even if they are very successfully at the sports they play).
    Alderson Broaddus plays a lot of sports and many don't do well. It isn't helping AB in the President Cup standings which may say something about the state of affairs within the leadership. We are next to last....only ahead by 1/2 point over Ursuline and Kentucky Wesleyan. Keep in mind, we are a 1/2 point ahead of Ursuline which fields no male sports. But our athletic department is in good enough shape to let our athletic director take this leave of absence to coach football. I will remind that we finished dead last in this President's Cup last academic year.
    Last edited by JDonAB92; 11-29-2018 at 08:51 AM.

  7. #927

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    BTW - not sure what prompted the change. It could be a subtle nudge encouraging schools to add sports.

  8. #928

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    Cedarville doesn't have swimming or lacrosse. Unfortunately, both would likely require construction (pool and turf field).

    What's the story behind no soccer at Hillsdale?

  9. #929

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    Frostburg men’s lacrosse will join the ECC (taking LIU-Posts place). I was wondering if they might join the G-MAC or if the MEC would announce sponsorship of the sport (which would have meant the loss of WJU and D&E for the G-MAC). This still seems like a fluid situation. Remember, G-MAC men’s lacrosse is basically just a re-badging of the old ECAC lacrosse conference.
    Last edited by BlueBlood; 12-20-2018 at 09:53 PM.

  10. #930

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    Findlay needs to add men's lacrosse but I think they would have to add another women's sport.

  11. #931

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    Just announced that Malone has dropped football.

    https://www.cantonrep.com/news/20190...-restructuring

  12. Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    You have to wonder what the ramifications of Malone's actions today are on the rest of the Athletic department. If they are willing to cut football, will they have to cut other sports down the road? Even if they don't cut any more sports, do athletes and coaches of the other sports feel there scholarships are safe or their jobs are safe? How does this affect recruiting? Tough day for Malone Athletics. I'm sure the GMAC officials cant be happy.

  13. #933
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    3132

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    Alderson-Broaddus pounded Davis & Elkins today, 78-57 in Philippi. With the win AB improves to 6-6 in G-MAC play. Hey D&E - that's what you get for leaving the conference. ;)
    Go Battlers!

  14. #934
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    3132

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by unc4life View Post
    You have to wonder what the ramifications of Malone's actions today are on the rest of the Athletic department. If they are willing to cut football, will they have to cut other sports down the road? Even if they don't cut any more sports, do athletes and coaches of the other sports feel there scholarships are safe or their jobs are safe? How does this affect recruiting? Tough day for Malone Athletics. I'm sure the GMAC officials cant be happy.
    First D&E announces they're leaving the conference and now Malone is dropping football. I agree with you about the G-MAC officials not being happy.
    Go Battlers!

  15. #935
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    3132

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    BTW - has anyone seen the G-MAC commercial that does a fly-over map of the conference and has 3D-ish logos and campus buildings pop up for each school? Its very well done. It is very similar to the one that the Big Ten does.

    edit: found it.

    https://youtu.be/wtTfflBuBKA
    It was well done. Thanks for sharing the link.
    Go Battlers!

  16. #936

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by crixus View Post
    First D&E announces they're leaving the conference and now Malone is dropping football. I agree with you about the G-MAC officials not being happy.
    I think the G-MAC has a few questions and storylines out there right now:
    1) football - do any other schools follow suit? (the LEC posters have speculated and Walsh just lost their cross town rival)
    2) does the G-MAC look to add another football school (or two)?
    3) how does losing D&E affect AB?
    4) TNU (and KWC to a lesser extent) has been holding-on way out there by themselves for a really long time
    5) Ashland is planning to revisit the issue of realignment in 2020

  17. #937

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    Congrats to Findlay on winning both swimming tittles.

  18. #938

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    Spring Championship locations:

    Baseball - remains at Prasco Park (just north of Cincy)
    Softball - moves to Firestone Stadium (Akron)
    Golf - after years in the Cincy area, moves to the University Club of Kentucky (Lexington)
    Track - Indoor at Findlay, Outdoor at Hillsdale

  19. #939

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    G-MAC and ECC announce inter-conference lacrosse scheduling/challenge.
    https://greatmidwestsports.com/news/...nge-event.aspx

    The conferences overlap on the ECC western / G-MAC eastern border. Seems to be good move for both conferences. ECC is mostly a NYC metro conference, with one school each at outposts in DC, Western NY and Frostburg (next year). It affords those outpost schools some travel relief as the G-MAC games will actually be easier commutes than their ECC conference games are. Also, this lets G-MAC schools play games in NY recruiting hotbed.

  20. #940

    Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

    BIG MBB game for the Battlers and Panthers today. Good luck to both teams and stay healthy!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •