Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

Quote Originally Posted by unc4life View Post
    I know people in the GMAC continue to talk about Indy as a fit, I have been told by several people now that one of the main reasons Ashland stayed in the GLIAC was becuase Indy wasn't ready to join the GMAC yet. Basically if Indy would have agreed to join Ashland probably would have too.
    This is why I think the G-MAC sits where it is for now and just takes a breather. I've said before that I think UIndy and Ashland may be a package deal. Either they both come, or neither come. I don't think Hillsdale would have come without Findlay. I don't think Tiffin would have come without UF and HC. Also, sometimes its just that the timing isn't right. Like I said above, if the G-MAC thinks those two schools are at least possibilities, I think the conference will and should wait it out another year or two.

---

Edit: and when I say the timing might not be right, that could mean a lot of things. With the schools, or with the conferences they are coming from. I've said before that if a school wants to join the G-MAC, the G-MAC should want to work with the GLVC or the GLIAC as much as possible so as to avoid destabilizing either conference.

Daeger came from the GLVC and is a UIndy alum. The GLVC and G-MAC offices are down the street from each other. They have their Christmas party together. There is talk of some MIAA schools possibly wanting to join the GLVC. I'm not sure that such a move would actually change the outline of the conference footprint much, but it would certainly put the majority of the GLVC schools on the western side of the footprint, far from UIndy. UIndy may be waiting to see how that plays out. The GLVC may be nicely asking UIndy and the G-MAC to wait so that entry and exit are well timed. Who knows, BU might be involved too, further complicating timing.

While I don't think the G-MAC and GLIAC are quite as chummy, there still has to be some sensitivity to the fact that the GLIAC is a land-locked conference that just lost a lot of Members. They don't have the luxury of choosing schools from a 360 degree panorama. They are bordered by lakes, Canada and the G-MAC (and one those borders is stealing their members). So far, they have done a nice job of back-filling with new members to deal with the loss of the OH schools. For all I know, Ashland may really want to join the G-MAC, but may be trying to be a good citizen and give the GLIAC two more years to line up additional backfill. Or, they may just be waiting on UIndy.

All this to say, I have no idea what back-room stuff is or isn't going on. I'm just throwing the above scenarios out as examples of the type of things that may be complicating a move. I do think that Ashland shelving the conference affiliation issue for only two years is a little suspicious. I really can't remember another school ever publically taking the "we will re-evaluate in two years" approach.
    Last edited by BlueBlood; 03-07-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Interesting thread on the MEC forum. Speculation that someone is leaving the MEC and MEC has Frostburg in their sites as a possible replacement. Not sure who the exiting school is or if this will impact the G-MAC or not. Interesting though.

A quote from the article that initiated the thread:

"Last Thursday, March 8, the FSU athletic department was approached by representatives from an NCAA Division II conference about a potential membership starting at the earliest in the Fall of 2019. The Mountain East Conference will be losing a program and is interested in Frostburg to fill the empty position."

The article does quote the head football coach which would make it seem the information in the piece is valid. Frostburg State is a good D-III athletic program except for both men's and women's basketball. Frostburg's football and baseball programs have been extremely good as of late. They have quality facilities too.

Which school leaves? Money is on Notre Dame either to the GLIAC or G-MAC. These things are generally announced around the second or third week of June.

If they were to bring in Frostburg, then that creates 8 public and 4 privates in that league which is unbalanced.

4. Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

I'm not sure I would take them. GLIAC can have them as far as I am concerned. I also think Urbana may be leaving. Not sure they would join another conference. They are a hurting school.

Quote Originally Posted by JDonAB92 View Post

Which school leaves? Money is on Notre Dame either to the GLIAC or G-MAC. These things are generally announced around the second or third week of June.
    Some seem to think it might be Shepherd to the PSAC, which kind of shocks me. 1) because Shepherd has to be considered one of the MEC's brightest stars, 2) I would expect some degree of solidarity among the WV state schools and 3) because the "P" in PSAC stands for Pennsylvania. The conference was created by the PA state schools for themselves exclusively. They didn't let PA private schools into the conference until 10 years or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Looking For 9 View Post
    I also think Urbana may be leaving. Not sure they would join another conference. They are a hurting school.
    According to the Dept of Education, Urbana is down to 417 full time students - 253 of which are student athletes. Without sports, they would have 164 full time students. I've read quotes from their president where he trumpets 3000 or so students - but I think he is counting online classes taken by high school students. From what I've read before, they have a system in place with the local school districts where kids can take an online college class through Urbana while still in HS. Maybe they can keep the doors open with that, I don't know.

PSAC commissioner has now been quoted acknowledging that the PSAC and Shepherd have had discussions re PSAC membership.

If this goes down, there could be a possible ripple effect. If MEC would simply replace with Frostburg, G-MAC would not likely be impacted at all. However, there are other scenerios that might impact us.

The conference updated the Presidents Cup standings - with all winter sports now included. Hillsdale has a pretty nice-sized lead. Top 5 below.

Hillsdale - .939
    Findlay - .768
    Walsh - .765
    Cedarville - .664
    Ohio Dominican - .552

Findlay is 7th in the Learfield Standings

http://static.psbin.com/8/o/4faseeem...overallDII.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Findlay is 7th in the Learfield Standings

http://static.psbin.com/8/o/4faseeem...overallDII.pdf
    I always find the discrepancy between the Learfield standings and the Presidents Cup standings interesting. Learfield only counts what happens at nationals. Presidents Cup only counts what happens in conference. They are ranking two completely different things and the difference can be dramatic.

BTW - 7th is excellent!

BTW2 - Interesting to see Cal Baptist ahead of GVSU.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    Interesting thread on the MEC forum. Speculation that someone is leaving the MEC and MEC has Frostburg in their sites as a possible replacement. Not sure who the exiting school is or if this will impact the G-MAC or not. Interesting though.
    It appears that it is actually UVA-Wise who is leaving the MEC at the end of next year. Shepherd has been offered to join the PSAC. That has been confirmed by both Shepherd and the PSAC commissioner. Shepherd sits right on the Potomac River. It has a large portion of the student population from Maryland and northern Virginia. The closest MEC school to Shepherd is Fairmont State and that is nearly 3 hours away. Shepherd had a long-standing rivalry with Shippensburg up until the formation of the MEC. The two schools are less than an hour apart on I-81. It will be interesting to see what Shepherd does. This invitation would be for the 2019-2020 school year.

12. Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

Mentioned on GLIAC football board that Ohio Wesleyan may be considering a move up. Might be nothing to it but always fun to keep stirring the pot.

13. Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

I think the G-MAC should invite UVA-WISE and then veto them joining.

Ohio Wesleyan would be a nice add for Ohio schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Looking For 9 View Post
    I think the G-MAC should invite UVA-WISE and then veto them joining.
    I thought I was over it. But the enjoyment I got from reading that tells me that I'm not.

Wellllllll......speaking of UVA-Wise.....they made it official. They are jumping another conference, leaving the MEC for the SAC. This will occur for the 2019-2020 school year. As the worm turns.....

4 conferences in 6 years may be a record

17. Default Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

Go Cavs Go...... perfect

So the UVA-Wise rumor was true. If the Shepherd rumor is also true, that would leave two spots for the MEC to fill. Lets pencil Frostburg in as one. Does the MEC next reach out to AB? If they do, what do you think AB says? BTW - they may have already reached out to AB for all I know.

Objectively, if the MEC asks AB to join they'd be kind of crazy not to. Look at the reduction of travel they would realize. On a more selfish note, I'd much prefer if they stay, I feel like we've got a little bit of a rivalry started up with the Battlers and would hate to see that end.

AB wants to be in the MEC. I asked why. I was told $. MEC visited AB last year. Then Wheeling Jesuit announced football and that door was shut. The door may be opened again.