Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Preseason Conference Polls

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Preseason Conference Polls

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle74 View Post
    Thought West Florida would be much higher. Lots (31) of transfers have come on board including those from quality D1 programs.
    You're talking about melding in 31 new personalities on top of the existing roster, which isn't an automatic recipe for success.

Thought West Florida would be much higher. Lots (31) of transfers have come on board including those from quality D1 programs.
    Um. 31 transfers usually means not much in the cupboards.
    As the 2011 national champion UNA Lions prove, having a ton of transfers automatically crowns you though.

2011???????

Quote Originally Posted by NewCatEyez View Post
    Um. 31 transfers usually means not much in the cupboards.
    As the 2011 national champion UNA Lions prove, having a ton of transfers automatically crowns you though.
    Their coach, Pete Shinnick, has a reputation of utilizing transfers to add speed, size, and depth in quickly building quality programs. Plus, I'm sure that if you have talent, and are looking to transfer to a D2 program, the nice sugar white beaches located close to the West Florida campus can be pretty enticing. Especially when comparing oranges to turnips.

Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    2011???????
    Didn't figure that one would miss you PP. You don't remember all of the bravado about how much D1 talent was on the field for UNA and how they had a D1 coach and it was all over before the season ever started?

There were many opinions more solidly grounded in reality but it was pretty amusing to read some of the thoughts of the time. And nobody remembers a flash in the pan team from 6 years ago anyway...

I remember that now that you mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    2011???????
    2009 is more along the lines of what he was getting at, though. Tons of DI transfers on that team touted as "the most talented team ever assembled in D2".

Bobby Wallace knocked them from the undefeated, top-ranked spot in 4OT's in Florence as the coach at West Alabama during the final game of the regular season.

Carson-Newman then avenged an early season home loss by taking down the "mighty" Lions two weeks later in Florence during the playoffs. It was the first win for the Eagles ever in Braly Stadium.

Their coach, Pete Shinnick, has a reputation of utilizing transfers to add speed, size, and depth in quickly building quality programs. Plus, I'm sure that if you have talent, and are looking to transfer to a D2 program, the nice sugar white beaches located close to the West Florida campus can be pretty enticing. Especially when comparing oranges to turnips.
    I, too, think some folks could be over-looking UWF who only lost about 5 players from last year's team. That said, it's just the second season of football. They tanked at the end of last season, so we'll have to see how it all plays out in Pensacola.

Now, next year? I think it's game on for sure.

Link: Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference

PSAC
    East Division
    1. West Chester (8)
    2. Kutztown
    3. Shippensburg
    4. Bloomsburg
    5. East Stroudsburg
    6. Lock Haven
    7. Millersville
    8. Cheyney

West Division
    1. Indiana (PA) (6)
    2. California (PA) (2)
    3. Slippery Rock
    4. Edinboro
    5. Gannon
    6. Seton Hill
    7. Clarion
    8. Mercyhurst

Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post
    I, too, think some folks could be over-looking UWF who only lost about 5 players from last year's team. That said, it's just the second season of football. They tanked at the end of last season, so we'll have to see how it all plays out in Pensacola.

Tank they did. Outscored 165-24 in their last three games (losses) by WALA, tUNA and the fierce UWG Wolves. It's not going to get easier this year.

Link: Great American Conference

GAC Preseason Poll
    1. Southern Arkansas (5) - 110 pts
    2. Harding (5) - 107
    3. Henderson State (2) - 106
    4. Ouachita Baptist - 90
    5. Southeastern Oklahoma State - 82
    6. Arkansas Tech - 80
    7. Southwestern Oklahoma State - 60
    8. Arkansas-Monticello - 44
    9. Northwestern Oklahoma State - 40
    10. East Central - 38
    11. Oklahoma Baptist - 24
    12. Southern Nazarene - 11

Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post

They ran out of gas truly a bunch of Freshmen and RS Freshmen. There is not 31 D-1 Transfers on that team matter of fact they have built through HS in all three recruiting classes. Don't get me wrong there are some transfers in the 2 Deep but the O line for example last year all First year college players. They will be improved over last year they know how hard it is to play a full season in the GSC.. I am with you this year they could upset a team or two like FL Tech last year but Year 3 they will be as battle tested as any team in the GSC..

Quote Originally Posted by UWFDad95 View Post
    They ran out of gas truly a bunch of Freshmen and RS Freshmen. There is not 31 D-1 Transfers on that team matter of fact they have built through HS in all three recruiting classes. Don't get me wrong there are some transfers in the 2 Deep but the O line for example last year all First year college players. They will be improved over last year they know how hard it is to play a full season in the GSC.. I am with you this year they could upset a team or two like FL Tech last year but Year 3 they will be as battle tested as any team in the GSC..
    31 transfers / 11 from D-1 programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Minnesota View Post
    http://www.gliac.org/polls/fball/2017-18/index

GLIAC

#1 GVSU (6) 77 pts
    #2 FSU (4) 75
    #3 Ashland 67
    #4 Wayne State 54
    #5 SVSU 41
    #6 Michigan Tech 38
    #7 Tiffin 37
    #8 Northwood 32
    #9 Northern Michigan 19
    #10 Davenport 10
    well, I see GV has the numbers 2, 3, & 4 ranked teams on the road and that awful trip north to MTech - tough schedule for the Lakers this year - don't think they can go 11-0 this year but 10-1 would be great and seed them pretty well for the playoffs - thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by UWFDad95 View Post
    The whole GSC save one or two teams just scares the daylights out of me this year. I have never seen the conference so loaded from top to almost the bottom as it appears this year. Obviously, a lot of D1 players have discovered they can get recruited out of D2 schools as well and have transferred in to many of our schools.
    This is going to be a wild season in the GSC in my opinion!

Northeast-10 preseason poll:

http://northeast10.org/sports/fball/...Preseason_Poll

Assumption edged out LIU Post for first place. Southern CT State was picked third and New Haven fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerLady View Post
    The whole GSC save one or two teams just scares the daylights out of me this year. I have never seen the conference so loaded from top to almost the bottom as it appears this year. Obviously, a lot of D1 players have discovered they can get recruited out of D2 schools as well and have transferred in to many of our schools.
    This is going to be a wild season in the GSC in my opinion!

Agree I won't miss a game this season you should make the trip down I-10 this year if our game against VSU is anywhere like last years barn burner it would be worth the trip. I don't know if we will get as many teams in the playoffs with the level of play but its sure going to be fun to watch the GSC beat up on each other all season.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGV View Post
    well, I see GV has the numbers 2, 3, & 4 ranked teams on the road and that awful trip north to MTech - tough schedule for the Lakers this year - don't think they can go 11-0 this year but 10-1 would be great and seed them pretty well for the playoffs - thoughts?
    My concern will be on D lots of guys to replace. Just want to see them play downhill on D

Link: Great Northwest Athletic Conference

Preseason GNAC Poll
    1. Azusa Pacific (5) - 25 pts
    2. Central Washington - 20
    3. Humboldt State - 14
    4. Western Oregon - 11
    5. Simon Fraser - 5

This should complete all Division II preseason conference polls

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123