Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tijuana, Mexico university trying to join NCAA D2 for American football

Contribute to D2

Default Tijuana, Mexico university trying to join NCAA D2 for American football

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/s...aa-border.html

"Terri Steeb Gronau, the N.C.A.A. vice president for Division II ... noted a dearth of Division II football teams on the West Coast, to the point that adding even just one more program in the area, such as Cetys, could have a significantly salutary impact on other teams’ schedules. The most obvious case could be football, which is the most popular sport at Cetys. Though the C.C.A.A. does not sponsor football, the Great Northwest does, so there is the possibility that Cetys could eventually have multiple conference allegiances (as many N.C.A.A. members do). In September, the Zorros will travel to Humboldt State of the Great Northwest Conference for an exhibition."

"A private university focused on engineering with an undergraduate enrollment of a little more than 3,000, Cetys is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, just as Stanford and U.C.L.A. are. It doles out numerous athletic scholarships, both full and partial, and its annual athletic budget of $1.25 million puts it on pace, León García said, to match comparable Division II institutions in the coming years, especially as it adds teams to fit Division II requirements. The university, which currently competes in a Mexican athletic association known as Conadeip, is in the process of hiring its first full-time athletic director."

"Cetys’s bid for N.C.A.A. membership got a boost when Leslie Wong, the president of San Francisco State University and a member of the Division II Presidents Council, became an enthusiastic backer. San Francisco State is a member of the Division II California Collegiate Athletic Association along with 11 other institutions in the California State University system and the University of California, San Diego. It is Cetys’s prospective league."

BTW, the article also has a nice photo of their football field, which looks really nice.

Default Re: Tijuana, Mexico university trying to join NCAA D2 for American football

Oh really. Heh, that's one way to add another football team to the GNAC. Everyone already has their passports too! Are they going to leave the bouncy castle on the field? That could make for some entertaining plays.

Default Re: Tijuana, Mexico university trying to join NCAA D2 for American football

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. This would be a boon to the GNAC scheduling wise but I wonder how much traction it'll gain. Personally, I think it's a really cool concept and the school based on the pictures alone in the article looks like a D2-type university. Good luck to the Zorros and the GNAC, I'll be watching this going forward.
    Last edited by Otis Day; 05-02-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IronOre View Post
    Oh really. Heh, that's one way to add another football team to the GNAC. Everyone already has their passports too! Are they going to leave the bouncy castle on the field? That could make for some entertaining plays.
    Four years ago, Monterey Tech and Nuevo Laredo wanted to join the NCAA II, and that was tabled.

So now we are back to this.

The two Mexican Universities above, both have huge enrollment and are very well funded.

One of the major issues was the safety of playing in Mexico. Can you imagine the cost for a GNAC or any NCAA II school for security? Big time lawsuit potential by a family of an 18 year-old player being kidnapped, arrested and or put into a Mexican jail, was foreseen. The families could sue the School, the Conference and the NCAA. The Mexican Border isn't the safest place to cross, when you are going South.

When it was being discussed, the Lone Star Conference said that it would be willing to let the two Mexican schools into the LSC, but the games would be played on USA soil only. The cost to the Mexican schools would have been huge.

Let's see what happens.
    Last edited by HOGSVRR; 05-02-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HOGSVRR View Post
    Four years ago Monterey Tech and Nuevo Laredo wanted to join the NCAA II, and that that was tabled.

So now we are back to this.

The two Mexican Universities above, are huge and very well funded.

One of the major issues was the safety of playing in Mexico. Can you imagine the cost for a GNAC or any NCAA II school for security? Big time lawsuit by a family for an 18 player being kidnapped, arrested and put into a Mexican jail, would be foreseen. They would sue the School, the Conference and the NCAA. The Mexican Border isn't the safest place to cross, when you are going South.

When it was being discussed, the Lone Star Conference said that it would be willing to let the two Mexican schools into the LSC, but the games would be played on USA soil only. That cost to the Mexican schools would be huge.

Let's see what happens.

Hogs,

At one time HSU was talking a home and home with the Mexico Game being played somewhere in San Diego. This is going to be an interesting game. Hopefully it is more than a scrimmage.

Good read. We all know the struggles you guys have out west, so adding another school to alleviate scheduling headaches would be great.

What are the chances this passes?

Quote Originally Posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    Good read. We all know the struggles you guys have out west, so adding another school to alleviate scheduling headaches would be great.

What are the chances this passes?
    Reading the article, it sounds like this university is very serious about academics and athletics. It has a fine accreditation, same agency for U.S. schools; it has research, and an up and coming athletic dept. I like their football field. Again, concerns about the border, etc. I'm not as worried about that. Living a life in fear is not a way to live a life. Being afraid of everything from crime to lawsuits makes one a coward. I understand those concerns, but if the university itself thought it was a liability, I doubt they'd be pursuing NCAA membership.

I think it would be cool to add them. Heck, everyone already has their passports for Canada anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    Reading the article, it sounds like this university is very serious about academics and athletics. It has a fine accreditation, same agency for U.S. schools; it has research, and an up and coming athletic dept. I like their football field. Again, concerns about the border, etc. I'm not as worried about that. Living a life in fear is not a way to live a life. Being afraid of everything from crime to lawsuits makes one a coward. I understand those concerns, but if the university itself thought it was a liability, I doubt they'd be pursuing NCAA membership.

I think it would be cool to add them. Heck, everyone already has their passports for Canada anyway.
    I am glad that you continue to live your life without consideration to fear. It makes the trip to Eburg for the annual Beat Down more bearable.

That's a really beautiful stadium. Seems like a cool place to watch a game.

Despite the sheer number of schools, D2 is pretty lacking in California, so it's probably much needed to get closer opponents. I also think having a program south of the border is interesting and kinda cool, seeing as how their academics appear to be on the up and up.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...e-rivalry-game

Appears that American football is really taking off in Mexico ...

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    I am glad that you continue to live your life without consideration to fear. It makes the trip to Eburg for the annual Beat Down more bearable.
    Though he does show proper trepidation for the bathrooms.

Very interesting article and POV. How ironic would it be be for a accrediated school like this in Mexico, step up big time for the GNAC when you have a litany of CA schools shut down. St. Mary's, Chico State, UOP, CAL State Fullerton, Cal State Long Beach, Cal Street Northridge, Cal Street Riverside, UCSB ( where the 49ers had summer camp for years, etc.) Not even taking about WWU and a range of Oregon schools who are able to move up, but choose not. Some of which travel even more than some GNAC schools which is unreal!

So a very interesting segue as the HSU Jacks put them on the schedule.

http://www.masseyratings.com/map.php?s=295489&t=11606

BTW, is it just me but if they were part of the GNAC today, they would immediately have the second best stadium behind the famed Redwood Bowl!

Hope it can come together and then the GNAC would play in three countries and three states! Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by IronOre View Post
    Though he does show proper trepidation for the bathrooms.
    CWU bathrooms? Yes, scarier than a horror movie.

Annual Beatdown? I've long since become numb to it all. I now go to the game to visit friends and eat burgers at The Tav or U-Tote-'Em.

Quote Originally Posted by JackoftheGNAC View Post
    Very interesting article and POV. How ironic would it be be for a accrediated school like this in Mexico, step up big time for the GNAC when you have a litany of CA schools shut down. St. Mary's, Chico State, UOP, CAL State Fullerton, Cal State Long Beach, Cal Street Northridge, Cal Street Riverside, UCSB ( where the 49ers had summer camp for years, etc.) Not even taking about WWU and a range of Oregon schools who are able to move up, but choose not. Some of which travel even more than some GNAC schools which is unreal!

So a very interesting segue as the HSU Jacks put them on the schedule.

http://www.masseyratings.com/map.php?s=295489&t=11606

BTW, is it just me but if they were part of the GNAC today, they would immediately have the second best stadium behind the famed Redwood Bowl!

Hope it can come together and then the GNAC would play in three countries and three states! Love it!
    Many of the Cali schools mentioned are DI. That means either FBS or FCS. Neither help the GNAC. The only one you mention that is DII is Chico. That would be a great addition.

What Oregon schools are you thinking could move to DII? I would say there is almost NO CHANCE of any of the DIII schools moving up. They love their private school league. The only one I see close is SOU. They have enough sports, but they have no where near the ability to compete at the DII level both from a money and talent level. Their annual athletic expenses are $4.7MM and an enrollment of 3600. EOU? Again, talent and money. They have annual athletic expenses of $4.7MM with an enrollment of 1700. Plus they are very remote. Compare them to CWU with an enrollment of 9000 and athletic expenses of $6.6MM, WOU with enrollment of 4100 and atheltic expenses of $5.8MM, or HSU with an enrollment of 7700 and athletic expenses of $6.9MM, and it is quick to see that they would start their DII adventure severly behind the 8 ball and struggling to compete.

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

Many of the Cali schools mentioned are DI. That means either FBS or FCS. Neither help the GNAC. The only one you mention that is DII is Chico. That would be a great addition.

What Oregon schools are you thinking could move to DII? I would say there is almost NO CHANCE of any of the DIII schools moving up. They love their private school league. The only one I see close is SOU. They have enough sports, but they have no where near the ability to compete at the DII level both from a money and talent level. Their annual athletic expenses are $4.7MM and an enrollment of 3600. EOU? Again, talent and money. They have annual athletic expenses of $4.7MM with an enrollment of 1700. Plus they are very remote. Compare them to CWU with an enrollment of 9000 and athletic expenses of $6.6MM, WOU with enrollment of 4100 and atheltic expenses of $5.8MM, or HSU with an enrollment of 7700 and athletic expenses of $6.9MM, and it is quick to see that they would start their DII adventure severly behind the 8 ball and struggling to compete.

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/
    SOU has an enrollment of more than 6K, they should be D2:

https://www.google.com/search?q=SOU+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

EOU has an enrollment of nearly 3,500, they also should be D2:

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...niversity-3193

WOU is also up to 6,200 this year, way off from your 4,100 mark.

Sending a bunch of college kids to Tijuana once a year doesn't sound like a great idea to me, but???

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    SOU has an enrollment of more than 6K, they should be D2:

https://www.google.com/search?q=SOU+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

EOU has an enrollment of nearly 3,500, they also should be D2:

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...niversity-3193
    Sorry; I took my info off of the OPE.edu site. I notice the other enrollment numbers are incorrect as well.

CWU 10,750 (they should not be DI)

WOU 6,214

HSU 8,116

I still think that SOU and EOU would have a difficult time moving up.

Sorry; I took my info off of the OPE.edu site. I notice the other enrollment numbers are incorrect as well.

CWU 10,750 (they should not be DI)

WOU 6,214

HSU 8,116

I still think that SOU and EOU would have a difficult time moving up.
    I think SOU would move up easily. They have more football scholarships than WOU and are near Medford. I think EOU would struggle a bit, though if you're from Idaho or Washington, there is no out-of-state tuition at EOU. I've also heard that EOU has more football scholarships than WOU, not sure if that's true or not.

Looking to Cross the Border From Mexico, Into the N.C.A.A.

Cetys University is making an ambitious bid to become the first Mexican member of the N.C.A.A.

A more detailed article on Cetys ambitious bid to become first member of the NCAA. My take away for bottom line for GNAC football, this a good if not very good chance of happening. Certainly farther along and more focused both internally and externally than any other "school out there" that is feinting interest in joining the GNAC for football.

Key takeaways from article:

President of Cetys "we are conscious that sports along with research and visible alumni are a way to raise exposure".

"Last week, the NCAA make permanent a pilot program allowing each division to invite Canadian or Mexican institutions".

" Cetys is a private university focused on engineering with and undergraduate enrollment of 3,000 plus".

"Cetys bid for a NCAA membership got a boost with Leslie Wong , the president of San Francisco State and member of NCAA D2 Presidents Council became a enthusiastic backer".

"Cetys has hired a former NCAA staff member who consults with institutions looking to join NCAA or move among its divisions".

A key comment to note "Terri Steeb Gronan, the NCAA vice president for D2 states Cetys is a specific school which fits the mission of other schools within the West Coast". She went on to comment "noting the dearth of D2 football teams on the West Coast to the point that adding even one more program in the area such as Cetys would have a significant salutary impact on other teams schedules".

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/s...ml?mwrsm=Email

Quote Originally Posted by JackoftheGNAC View Post

Looking to Cross the Border From Mexico, Into the N.C.A.A.

Cetys University is making an ambitious bid to become the first Mexican member of the N.C.A.A.

A more detailed article on Cetys ambitious bid to become first member of the NCAA. My take away for bottom line for GNAC football, this a good if not very good chance of happening. Certainly farther along and more focused both internally and externally than any other "school out there" that is feinting interest in joining the GNAC for football.

Key takeaways from article:

President of Cetys "we are conscious that sports along with research and visible alumni are a way to raise exposure".

"Last week, the NCAA make permanent a pilot program allowing each division to invite Canadian or Mexican institutions".

" Cetys is a private university focused on engineering with and undergraduate enrollment of 3,000 plus".

"Cetys bid for a NCAA membership got a boost with Leslie Wong , the president of San Francisco State and member of NCAA D2 Presidents Council became a enthusiastic backer".

"Cetys has hired a former NCAA staff member who consults with institutions looking to join NCAA or move among its divisions".

A key comment to note "Terri Steeb Gronan, the NCAA vice president for D2 states Cetys is a specific school which fits the mission of other schools within the West Coast". She went on to comment "noting the dearth of D2 football teams on the West Coast to the point that adding even one more program in the area such as Cetys would have a significant salutary impact on other teams schedules".

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/s...ml?mwrsm=Email
    I think that would be a nice little addition for recruiting.

"Hey, we take a trip to Mexico and Canada every other year."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast