Thread: West Liberty Announces 20-Man Signing Class

Contribute to D2

Default West Liberty Announces 20-Man Signing Class

Just popped up on the West Liberty website:

http://www.hilltoppersports.com/news...ing-class.aspx

Default Re: West Liberty Announces 20-Man Signing Class

Hey boat they must've heard us this year imagine that

What was the strength and weakness of West Liberty Football last year?

Just inconsistency. Boat seemed to harp on scheme not fitting current personnel.

Secondary special teams and coaching not sure we really filled our needs but this is how it'll be till someone decides to man up and overhaul the staff

WLU's main issue last season was special teams...the kicking game in particular. Three of WLU's first four losses turned on missed and blocked kicks and it is unclear how these kicking problems effected coaching decisions in other games. It sure seemed like WLU went for it on 4th down when they were in FG range more often as the season went on than they did in previous seasons. We went into the season with one K/P on the roster and no dedicated Special Teams Coach...We got what we deserved.

Beyond that, we seemed to focus the offense almost exclusively behind Conwell. Yea, I know he's the QB and WLU is a QB'centric team but it seemed for most of the season that EVERY running play was a designed run with Conwell taking it up the middle from the gun! Teams got wise to that as the season went on and adjusted...but we still ran that play! We had three RB's that averaged over 4 yards per carry including the previous season leading rusher, Ortiz, who averaged 4.8 YPC. He got the ball only 90 times last year. Had we developed a primary running option that featured a RB vice our QB, we would have been more diverse and we would have limited the wear and tear that cost Conwell part of the season.

WLU's coaching staff has been largely intact for 8-10 years. We need a major shake up or I fear things will not change. With the number of scollys and facilities WLU has to offer, we should be doing much better than we have for the last 6 years.

WLU has really good individual talent but it always seems disjointed. I don't expect this season to be any different. To have any chance at success we will need one of our few returning QB's to take a HUGE step up or we will need one of the freshmen or transfer QB's to come in and play lights out. While you never know what will happen, neither of those are likely. With that as back drop, we will need a HEAVY dose of successful running (from the RB's) and we'll need what was a pretty good defense to take the next step and become a great defense. What I find really disconcerting is that the recruiting class thus far has no kickers or punters and we have yet to bring on a dedicated Special Teams Coach. I fear we learned nothing from last season.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 02-10-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks for the insight and opinion on the program, I will be attending games this year as a new fan and just wanted to get some insight into the program. I do like the fact that they got nine lineman in their class this year, it all starts there.

Buckeye, the problem seems to be of the nine linemen they got probably only 4 or 5 will be back for their sophomore season. There is always a reason for their lack of success but one thing is definite, you can count on 4 or 5 wins max.

Why will only half be back the following year? Is that a consistent problem?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye02 View Post
    Why will only half be back the following year? Is that a consistent problem?
    That's typical for college freshmen. Only about half come back for their second year. Football is no different.

Well hopefully more will stay. I just watched some hudl highlights and all the lineman move their feet very well, always the difference in college! They can get you bigger and faster but the feet are usually just there.

To WLU:

TJ Lew, OL, 6'4", 275, Shadow Hills HS CA. https://www.hudl.com/profile/4360558...y-tj-lew/about

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    That's typical for college freshmen. Only about half come back for their second year. Football is no different.
    Boat: So you are saying that out of this years recruiting class, only ten players will return. Only ten are from the region and out of that 10, only 3-4 are from the Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticCoach View Post
    Boat: So you are saying that out of this years recruiting class, only ten players will return. Only ten are from the region and out of that 10, only 3-4 are from the Valley.
    We seem to have been pretty lucky with the number of players returning for their second year for the last few seasons. Don't know if that continues with last years freshman class or this freshman class. I'm sure there are a few more players that are working their way through the admission process but even if the recruting class goes to 30, that really isn't that large of a class compared to other schools in the conference. Not uncommon for schools to bring in 50+ players to their 100 player roster year after year.

Concerning weather WLU recruits from the Valley, I've heard that they do so quite heavily. But they also get players interested from other areas. Some times these out of area players are just better than the local player. It would be a hard sell for me to say that they should bring in a local player over a better out of area player just because the player is local. If the Valley player is better or just as good as the out of area player, sure, you bring in the local player...if the out of area player is better, you bring him in.

In the not too distant past there have been coaches at other MEC schools that have come in saying they believe they can build a winning program based primarily on bring in local area tallent. Pretty quickly they discover that there just aren't enough good local players to build a winning program around.

I still find it weird how many guys from CA that you guys get every year. Always seems to be about 2-3 guys. I would think resources would be better spent in Ohio, PA or MD then going all the way out west.

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    We seem to have been pretty lucky with the number of players returning for their second year for the last few seasons. Don't know if that continues with last years freshman class or this freshman class. I'm sure there are a few more players that are working their way through the admission process but even if the recruting class goes to 30, that really isn't that large of a class compared to other schools in the conference. Not uncommon for schools to bring in 50+ players to their 100 player roster year after year.

Concerning weather WLU recruits from the Valley, I've heard that they do so quite heavily. But they also get players interested from other areas. Some times these out of area players are just better than the local player. It would be a hard sell for me to say that they should bring in a local player over a better out of area player just because the player is local. If the Valley player is better or just as good as the out of area player, sure, you bring in the local player...if the out of area player is better, you bring him in.

In the not too distant past there have been coaches at other MEC schools that have come in saying they believe they can build a winning program based primarily on bring in local area tallent. Pretty quickly they discover that there just aren't enough good local players to build a winning program around.
    There's enough talent to bring in schools like Ohio Dominican to the Valley.

WV, OH, PA and DC provide enough talent to make up 90% of a roster in the MEC.

73 of WLU's 100 rostered players last year were from the "MEC Region" (loosely defined as WV, OH, PA, MD, VA and DC). Quick comparison shows that WLU's roster make up is not appreciably different than may other MEC roster. Heck, Fairmont had just as many players from Cali and FL and included a fair number from SC and onezies and twozies from several other "non region" states.

A very good case can be made that the players WLU is bringing in aren't good enough but it's a much more difficult case to make that they are bringing in a huge number of "outsiders" and THAT is the reason they are playing so poorly...Particularly when most other MEC programs, both good and bad, do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticCoach View Post
    There's enough talent to bring in schools like Ohio Dominican to the Valley.
    And that's part of WLU's problem. Over the last number of years, there have been quite a few new DII football programs started in OH. WLU now has a lot more in-state competition for OH recruits. We still get quite a few OH players but I wonder if the quality is as high as in the past. Recruiting demographics change over time. If an area that has been highly productive for you in the past is now not as productive, you've got to identify "new" areas that aren't so played out and devote more recruiting resources there...Either that or be happy with your declining return on investment.

I've seen most of the incoming class from Ohio and they are all high quality players. Obviously high school talent is much different than at the college level, but these kids are legit. Hopefully they become high quality student athletes as well for WLU. It's always exciting to see the incoming talent. Hopefully they are ready for the challenge that this next level presents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast