Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast

Thread: UNA 2017

Contribute to D2

Default Re: UNA 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Lions Fan View Post
    Took a look at the stadium, Friday, and saw that all of the parking around the stadium is gone. This includes the spaces next to the stadium where the large contributors parked. I would imagine that if there are no plans in place to correct this, pressure could mount over the next few years for a new location for a stadium.
    From what I have been told by a couple of Florence officials, UNA, Mitchell Holingworth, and ECM Hospital is talking, (the key word is talking) about a deal that could happen in the next few years. ECM is moving, have no current plans or use for the building. Mitchell Holingsworth could move to the old ECM, and sell the current nursing home property to UNA. UNA would ultimately build their stadium there.

Is anyone at the Dinner tonight? Any uniform pics?

Quote Originally Posted by lion1983 View Post
    From what I have been told by a couple of Florence officials, UNA, Mitchell Holingworth, and ECM Hospital is talking, (the key word is talking) about a deal that could happen in the next few years. ECM is moving, have no current plans or use for the building. Mitchell Holingsworth could move to the old ECM, and sell the current nursing home property to UNA. UNA would ultimately build their stadium there.

Very interesting. That piece of property is so important to the future of the University, I feel, whether a stadium eventually goes there or not. MH moving on just makes too much sense for all parties. And I have been curious and a little concerned about the ECM property sitting vacant, so that sounds like a good way to start to repurpose the building.

I haven't seen any pics of the uniforms, but here is a video that shows them pretty well: https://twitter.com/unaathletics/sta...41333623640066.

Quote Originally Posted by Wide_Right View Post
    So Barney and Andy don't have things under control??
    Need more than two cops to throw Perk/High Plains out of Braly Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by lion1983 View Post

I thought Mitchell Hollingsworth was having a million dollar renovation last year. Be weird from them to spend all that money to walk away to run down ECM

Quote Originally Posted by TUNA View Post
    I thought Mitchell Hollingsworth was having a million dollar renovation last year. Be weird from them to spend all that money to walk away to run down ECM
    How many millions of dollars have ECM put into a building that they are leaving. It's not a big deal to a multi million dollar buisness, especially in the med field.

I'd say MH has all the leverage there. The price isn't right on the ECM property? Fine, they stay where they are in a renovated facility. Sounds win-win for them. But if they were to choose to move, I'm sure it would be a lengthy process to renovate the hospital. Probably a couple of years, at least? I don't really have any knowledge of how that would work, but even if it's another medical enterprise moving in, it seems ECM would need an overhaul.

You want a pie in the sky idea... I know we all covet the MH property for a new stadium some day, but what if UNA could be the ones to get their hands on the ECM property and use it to start a medical school. I'd LOVE to see that, for the long-term benefits to both the school and the Shoals area. Of course I know there are politics involved which would probably keep it from ever happening, but it sure would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by UNAfied View Post
    Very interesting. That piece of property is so important to the future of the University, I feel, whether a stadium eventually goes there or not. MH moving on just makes too much sense for all parties. And I have been curious and a little concerned about the ECM property sitting vacant, so that sounds like a good way to start to repurpose the building.

I haven't seen any pics of the uniforms, but here is a video that shows them pretty well: https://twitter.com/unaathletics/sta...41333623640066.
    All that white and very little gold is no accident. Somebody must want to change the colors. Notice that the bear-like paws drawings on Court Street are all in purple and white.

Quote Originally Posted by TUNA View Post
    Need more than two cops to throw Perk/High Plains out of Braly Stadium
    Just think how many more than 7 it would have taken if I had been healthy, 30 years younger and not babysitting. Haha
    Last edited by High plains drifter; 08-13-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lions Fan View Post
    All that white and very little gold is no accident. Somebody must want to change the colors. Notice that the bear-like paws drawings on Court Street are all in purple and white.
    On certain days the students and staff is told to wear their purple. It is never mention to wear your purple and gold.

I'd say MH has all the leverage there. The price isn't right on the ECM property? Fine, they stay where they are in a renovated facility. Sounds win-win for them. But if they were to choose to move, I'm sure it would be a lengthy process to renovate the hospital. Probably a couple of years, at least? I don't really have any knowledge of how that would work, but even if it's another medical enterprise moving in, it seems ECM would need an overhaul.

You want a pie in the sky idea... I know we all covet the MH property for a new stadium some day, but what if UNA could be the ones to get their hands on the ECM property and use it to start a medical school. I'd LOVE to see that, for the long-term benefits to both the school and the Shoals area. Of course I know there are politics involved which would probably keep it from ever happening, but it sure would be nice.
    UNA and other schools such as Jacksonville State, Troy, and West Alabama are officially classified by the State as Regional Masters Degree Universities and any new programs by any state university must be approved by the Alabama Council on Higher Education (They have a web site.)

I know this is a little off topic for football.
    Funny that you mention a Medical School, every since the University started an Nursing Program that has been something that I would like to see take place.

Back in the mid 70's in several private conversations with me, "Uncle Bob" President Robert Guillot mentioned to me that Florence would be a great place for a Medical School. The topic came up when we were talking about South Alabama , which had started a Medical School a few years back.

In a recent Governors Race a candidate from Huntsville said that he thought A Medical School should be located in North Alabama. He suggested UAH.

I believe that within the next 20 or 25 years a Medical School will be located somewhere in North Alabama. Isn't it about time that Florence and the Shoals get something instead of things going to Huntsville.

Quote Originally Posted by North Ala Screwdriver View Post
    Funny that you mention a Medical School, every since the University started an Nursing Program that has been something that I would like to see take place.

Back in the mid 70's in several private conversations with me, "Uncle Bob" President Robert Guillot mentioned to me that Florence would be a great place for a Medical School. The topic came up when we were talking about South Alabama , which had started a Medical School a few years back.

In a recent Governors Race a candidate from Huntsville said that he thought A Medical School should be located in North Alabama. He suggested UAH.

I believe that within the next 20 or 25 years a Medical School will be located somewhere in North Alabama. Isn't it about time that Florence and the Shoals get something instead of things going to Huntsville.
    I've "heard" (can't remember where) that there was some serious consideration given to starting a med school back in the 70s. I don't remember why things eventually shook out the way they did. Obviously if it had happened, the university could be a lot different today.

I'd love to see it eventually happen, but unfortunately I fear that Huntsville and UAH would have the leg up on us. We'll see. With UAB having the school down in Birmingham, it's not like the UA system NEEDS another one. Plus there would be some nice symmetry if both North Alabama and South Alabama have one

I don't believe the birdbrained twits who run florence (into the ground) want ANYTHING that would cause economic growth. There's probably more high school and college grads from Florence living in Huntsville and Nashville than Florence due to the fact economic growth outside of UNA has been non-existentered for the last 20 years.
    I had to leave town to find decent employment as did both of my sons. The twits want this to remain a retirement town only because THEY themselves benefit from that monetarily.

The scrimmage today was pretty physical with a few altercations. I like the fact that we are hitting in practice this season. Instead of hitting our stride tackling-wise in late October, we should be ready to lay the wood on opening day!

Florence built a new high school gym at Coffee and then located the high school at Bradshaw. Stupid things are the norm for morons who run the city and other entities.

40 years ago in 1977 I was ready for my first quarter at newly christened UNA. Excitement was in the air on campus despite the sudden death of the King, Elvis Presley on August 16. The basketball team had just established itself as a national power, reaching the Final Four and returning almost the entire team. The football program was looking to take off under new coach Wayne Grubb who came in from the WFL after the disastrous end to the Mickey Andrews era. Uncle Bob (President Robert Guillot) had everyone fired up with his enthusiastic leadership and vow to make football a force to be reckoned with again. Though Andrews was gone, some of his Florida State transfers weren't. The one everyone couldn't wait to see was a 200 pound RB with 4.3 speed, Curtis Sirmones, who had been the Florida high school player of the year and set many records that stood for decades. He left the turmoil of a coaching change at FSU for a new start at the former FSU. With Uncle Bob leading the pep rally, the campus sent the Lions off to East Tennessee State to help them christen their new dome. Sirmones and the rest of the Lions were too fast for the Bucs and blew them out of their own dome! The Lion offense began to set records averaging 353 yards per game rushing and made their first appearance in the top 20 by getting off to a 5-0 start.

Excitement for homecoming was dampened by bad weather as Austin Peay was thought to be the next meal for the hungry Lions. Unfortunately the Lions got caught looking and mixed with some injuries and poor play the Lions were upset. They would go on to lose their last 5 in a row as Sirmones was out with a hip pointer which severely hampered the high powered offense built around him. The last game of the season was a microcosm of the season. The Lions charged out to a big lead in the first half to the heavily favored Gamecocks only to see it disappear in the second half as they were shut out. Little did we know the Lions would almost duplicate the 5-0 to 0-5 start 2 years later, the only difference being a rousing home win over Jax State to end the season. That set the stage for the historic 1980 season.

After getting over the disappointment of the loss to our bitter rivals, the fans realized just how good the Lions could be with the return of most of the best players, including Sirmones, for the '78 season. Talk of a new stadium had ended but plans to expand and renovate Braly Stadium were beginning. Uncle Bob promised this was just the beginning and he would prove to be right.

Before Curtis Sirmones career was over it upset me when they moved him from the Offensive side of the ball to the Defensive side of the ball.

Humm, ETSU, AP, JSU. I think we played Chattanooga somewhere in that time frame didn't we? (Lol, I say we like I was there)

Not Chattanooga, but in 1979 & 1980 we defeated Middle Tennessee State.

Not Chattanooga, but in 1979 & 1980 we defeated Middle Tennessee State.
    I think the 1980 game was a 36-0 shellacking of Middle.