Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ASU lands big time QB

Contribute to D2

Default Re: ASU lands big time QB

Quote Originally Posted by DIIguru View Post
    So Angelo St. is going to start a true Frosh. QB next year? Here come the Fire Will Wagner threads lol
    He could always land at...ACU.

There have been good ones but San Angelo has never been known for great running backs. Guys like Daven are rare here in the last 30 years at least.

Great News! Looking forward to the ASU 4-peat.

Gonna be so awesome!

Here's hoping history does not repeat. Once before ASU signed a high profile local product at QB. He was good and represented ASU at a high level. The only problem was that, because QB at ASU was not viewed as open to anyone else, ASU coaches were unable to sign college caliber QBs to replace him. When Sterlin left, there was not a true QB on campus. It was four years before we had a decent QB again. During that time ASU went from a top tier LSC team to the bottom of the heap and we have not recovered yet. Firing a long term winning coach and replacing him with a blithering idiot didn't help.

If future prospects think that the local kid has the inside track to the position, they will go elsewhere. If Drummer and Cook to see the light and move on, coaches will be forced to play Cal in 2018 whether he is ready or not.

??

Vincent will either have won or not one the job by the time future QBs are recruited. It's how it is everywhere. If prospects are weak willed they can go elsewhere and they can then sign kids who know how it all works.

Vincent will have to beat out the current QBs so if he does win the job and they want to leave, good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    ??

Vincent will either have won or not one the job by the time future QBs are recruited. It's how it is everywhere. If prospects are weak willed they can go elsewhere and they can then sign kids who know how it all works.

Vincent will have to beat out the current QBs so if he does win the job and they want to leave, good riddance.
    I agree. I can't image coming to the conclusion that we should pass on Vincent because he happens to be local. And I think we have the staff to make it fair to anyone we recruit.

There are at least 4 skill players from the Central team that will likely go D2 that I would like to see us sign asap.

Just saw that Theron's son- San Angelo Central WR Tommy Aych got his first offer from McKendree.

Think it was yesterday that Brett Hicks from Seminole committed to ASU. Hate to pizz off the locals but Brett is the better HS
    QB of the two. Since Cal was a better WR than a QB, he might end up back at WR.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJam View Post
    I agree. I can't image coming to the conclusion that we should pass on Vincent because he happens to be local. And I think we have the staff to make it fair to anyone we recruit.

There are at least 4 skill players from the Central team that will likely go D2 that I would like to see us sign asap.
    Not sure I said anything about passing on Cal. Just pointed out that future prospects might pass on ASU because they perceive that they will not get a fair opportunity to compete for the position. Guess the fact that Hicks committed to ASU shots my theory down.

Quote Originally Posted by bleacher dweller View Post
    Not sure I said anything about passing on Cal. Just pointed out that future prospects might pass on ASU because they perceive that they will not get a fair opportunity to compete for the position. Guess the fact that Hicks committed to ASU shots my theory down.
    Hey, glad to have him & let them compete. You did say "Hope history does not repeat itself" & so far it hasn't so it's all good.

I noticed on Scoops that we have offered D Manning. Hopefully he commits soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJam View Post
    Hey, glad to have him & let them compete. You did say "Hope history does not repeat itself" & so far it hasn't so it's all good.

I noticed on Scoops that we have offered D Manning. Hopefully he commits soon.
    Sent you a PM

I'm very excited to land him but there's little reason to think Hicks is better than Vincent at this point. He may be but he'll have to prove it. Based on film against lower competition he's not as good, his stats aren't nearly as good either, but he looks more raw than Vincent as well, so we'll see how he develops. Cal was a better QB than WR BTW in terms of being a college prospect. His QB stats were as good as it gets and done at the highest level. He lead the state in TD-INT ratio as well. I'm glad we got both QBs. Both are very similar in terms of athleticism but Vincent on film looks like he might be a couple inches taller.
    Last edited by Roscoe; 01-11-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Awesome get for ASU.. but I don't see any 6'8" receivers to throw jump balls to on the roster for the Rams.

Based on what is on their Hudl websites, Cal looks to be an inch taller. Brett has a faster 40 time. Cal seems to be a bit stronger based on their weight lifting listed. Overall, I'm excited to see both of them on campus.

I think they're both better prospects than guys like Drummer and Cook. I don't put much stock into the numbers put on Hudl pages unless they're Nike SPARQ verified. I think it's very unlikely either breaks 4.7 in the 40 electronically timed.

San Angelo Central MLB 6'1" 230 Gherig Scott committed to ASU today. Four year starter who won 44 games and four district titles at Central. 2-6a defensive MVP and All-West Texas Super Team Co-MVP (with Cal Vincent).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12