Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ASU lands big time QB

Contribute to D2

Default ASU lands big time QB

Desperately needed and a huge get! San Angelo Central QB Cal Vincent who is a D1 talent. His great grandfather was the long-time ASU president. I expect him to start next year.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3904622/...1b9e3cc06069ed
    Last edited by Roscoe; 12-17-2016 at 11:15 PM.

Default Re: ASU lands big time QB

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Desperately needed and a huge get! San Angelo Central QB Call Vincent who is a D1 talent. His great grandfather was the long-time ASU president. I expect him to start next year.

Yes sir -he is the real deal. I have heard he is graduating this month & will join the team this spring. I have also heard his brother, Will Vincent, is transferring to ASU.

Great news -
    Last edited by RamJam; 12-17-2016 at 08:39 PM.

He's smart. Had Ivy League offers. Yeah forgot to mention that. His brother is a safety transferring from Adams State.

So Angelo St. is going to start a true Frosh. QB next year? Here come the Fire Will Wagner threads lol

Quote Originally Posted by DIIguru View Post
    So Angelo St. is going to start a true Frosh. QB next year? Here come the Fire Will Wagner threads lol
    No one has said that - too early to tell. Look for ASU to continue the conversion to a spread offense which began at the end of this season.

Got to see Cal play 4 times last fall. Based on his paly against HS players, he has the skill set to run the ASU offense at a high level. Now we will see if he can play at the same level against college players.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJam View Post
    No one has said that - too early to tell. Look for ASU to continue the conversion to a spread offense which began at the end of this season.
    Someone did in fact say that...

I said "I expect" not that he would. We'll see what other competition they might bring in. I saw him play 12 games this season. He's extremely accurate, doesn't make bad decisions, great pocket presence, and a good runner. Had a 98 yd TD run. 3,100 yds passing, 42 TD, 2 INT plus about 800 rushing yards. He didn't get to play QB until his senior year due to playing behind a TCU commit. He's a better QB than the one at TCU. The one thing he needs is to add some weight. He's 6'2" 175-180.

Apparently all the recruiting services missed him, 247, espn and rivals all have him unranked with no stars

Yeah they did. West Texas kids tend to go unnoticed unless they get early attention.

His teammate Adam West, a dominant 6'8" WR/TE should be a four star but isn't ranked and will play at Harvard.

Yeah they did. West Texas kids tend to go unnoticed unless they get early attention.

His teammate Adam West, a dominant 6'8" WR/TE should be a four star but isn't ranked and will play at Harvard.
    West had one of the best catches of the year against Allen; a one-handed over the head TD grab. On one of the commercials during the State Championship games on Fox they showed that highlight over and over. Google the highlight, you'll be gad you did.

I think Cal Vincent had several DII offers as well as a couple of lower FCS offers (UIW, Houston Baptist). His biggest problem recruiting wise is that he played behind Wooten (the TCU recruit) and no one saw him until August of this year. That is too late for most bigger schools.

His family has long ties to ASU and is a prominent name in San Angelo (his grandmother and aunt are two of the most successful realtors, his grandfather was a big executive with Town and Country and now owns Christoval Winery, and his dad founded Principal LED as well as helping to found the winery in Chrsitoval). The science building is named for his great grandfather who was President of ASU for 20 to 30 years a while back.

Likely the only LSC qb whose high school team was in the top 10 in the state in 6A D1 football. Were #6 as I recall when they lost to Allen.

Desperately needed and a huge get! San Angelo Central QB Cal Vincent who is a D1 talent. His great grandfather was the long-time ASU president. I expect him to start next year.

Define big time.

Quote Originally Posted by 08LionBacker View Post
    Define big time.
    Has an offer from Adams State, along with 139 other kids.

He's better than the San Angelo Central QB last season who was in the Rivals Texas top 100.

He's better than the San Angelo Central QB last season who was in the Rivals Texas top 100.
    You run a wild recruiting service i must say......mostly opposite of all other recruiting services. I like it!

I think most San Angelo folks including their coaches think Vincent was better than Wooten. He played at about as high of a level as possible and against tough competition. Against Allen he was on pace for a 300 yd passing 100 yd rushing and 6 TD day before getting injured.

As far as their recruiting rankings, a ton of guys get overlooked every year. Recruiting services lock into some guys early and miss the rest. As has been said before, Wooten started as a sophomore. Three years of exposure. Vincent had one at varsity QB because he played behind two upperclassmen who both signed to play QB with FBS schools.

This commitment might also come with a running back as well. Daven Manning is a very underrated back in my opinion, and I know he holds an ASU offer. I think he is a guy who could come in and contribute well. Both of these kids are more importantly good students and very good individuals. I hope they can contribute on the field as well.

Manning would really shine at this level. He is the best running back to ever come through San Angelo and one of my favorite players to come through as well. I'm a bit thunderstruck that he doesn't have D1 offers at least as far as I'm aware. He got plenty of FBS attention though, and it sounded at one point like Oklahoma State was close to offering. He's the total package. Size, 4.4 speed, agility, acceleration, pass protection, hands. Landing Manning in addition to Vincent would be HUGE for ASU. They are both 5 star caliber players relative to D2.

I also wouldn't mind seeing San Angelo Central MLB Gehrig Scott in an ASU multiform (I just invented that term to describe their multitude of uniforms). Son of ASU softball head coach. His bro was a Central QB now playing baseball at Texas State.
    Last edited by Roscoe; 12-19-2016 at 08:02 PM.

Manning would really shine at this level. He is the best running back to ever come through San Angelo and one of my favorite players to come through as well. .
    You are obviously to young to have watched guys like Terry Collins and Mark Dove play at Central. I wouldn't say those guys were better or worse than Manning, since they played in the era of power football at Central, but they were dang good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast