Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - LSC Basketball

Contribute to D2

Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    I'm just taking the words of the athletes that I personally know that have transferred from D1's and other LSC schools to ASU...everyone of them has said the coursework is much harder here.
    ASU the New Harvard of the South?!?! 🤔

A large majority of the D2 athletes will not move on to play professional sports or get involved in coaching. Regardless of what school they attend, making attending class and achieving good grades should be a big priority. They are going to have to enter the real world at some point and having a degree along with the experience of having to manage time, set priorities and work hard will pay off for them. If there are athletes at ASU who feel their classes are hard, I am very confident there are athletes at other schools who might feel the same way. My strong advice all of them is buckle down and work to be successful at your sport and school. It will pay off when they enter the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by wisdomgymrat View Post
    ASU the New Harvard of the South?!?! 🤔
    Again, all I know is ASU. That's the only school I have attended, but not making this stuff up.

I think one issue with academics at ASU that we have well over $130,000,000 in scholarship endowments. The majority of our instructors feel a need to teach up to that demographic.

Perhaps Texcap could shed a little light on this.

Quote Originally Posted by TSUTexans View Post
    The "freshmen" that contributed big last night are redshirt freshmen that came in last year and got a year of learning the system and experience on a Regional Championship team. These were big recruits in the State of Texas out of high school. Anthony Davis and Josh Hawley, Tarleton's two freshmen bigs, could have played at many smaller Division 1 schools but have a chance to win a championship at Tarleton and stay close to home. Kealon Clayborne is another redshirt freshman that has stepped up into the role as the back up point guard and is getting better every game. There is only 1 true freshman on the team and that is Brandon Willis, a point guard from Baltimore, Maryland. He came in last night and made a couple buckets late in the game. He will be fun to watch in the future after he gets some more experience under his belt. With Hawley, Davis, Clayborne, and Willis, this group could be great in the years to come.
    I will also add Lance Ewell, RS-Fr 6-5 guard from Brock to the list as well. He hasn't gotten the playing time this year as the others but I think he will be a contributor before his career is over.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloFan View Post
    I think one issue with academics at ASU that we have well over $130,000,000 in scholarship endowments. The majority of our instructors feel a need to teach up to that demographic.

Teaching and rigor of courses varies from course to course too much to make any blanket statements. I have taught at four different schools, if I count when I was teaching and getting my PhD, and from my point of view they are all pretty much the same. Of course I have never taught at any elite schools, but all very solid public universities in FBS, FCS and DII.

I do know that none of the student athletes that I know, and I know a lot, are steered into any particular majors or courses by the coaching staff. Academic advisors do talk to the students but it is the same for all students, whether or not they are athletes. I have also not seen any special treatment of athletes or favors different for them that are not offered to other students.

Somebody said it earlier in the thread that many times it is just a matter of maturity and growing up that makes the difference. We see it across the board, athletes and non athletes.

The coaching staffs in all sports at ASU place a heavy emphasis on the importance of academics and getting that degree and support those student athletes. It shows, but it is not an undue influence. This is especially true after what went down at Rutgers a couple of years ago.

So, according to your logic your endowment determines the difficulty of the school. University of Houston has well over $600 million so it be way more academically challenging than ASU. NOT

Poor shooting, poor defense leads to TSU's loss on the road kingsville. Looked like very tired and uninspired basketball

76 - 71 Javelinas at the SPEC in Kingsville. JAV's just missed upsetting Commerce in their previous outing.

Quote Originally Posted by TSUTexans View Post
    The "freshmen" that contributed big last night are redshirt freshmen that came in last year and got a year of learning the system and experience on a Regional Championship team. These were big recruits in the State of Texas out of high school. Anthony Davis and Josh Hawley, Tarleton's two freshmen bigs, could have played at many smaller Division 1 schools but have a chance to win a championship at Tarleton and stay close to home. Kealon Clayborne is another redshirt freshman that has stepped up into the role as the back up point guard and is getting better every game. There is only 1 true freshman on the team and that is Brandon Willis, a point guard from Baltimore, Maryland. He came in last night and made a couple buckets late in the game. He will be fun to watch in the future after he gets some more experience under his belt. With Hawley, Davis, Clayborne, and Willis, this group could be great in the years to come.
    Thats what you get with a legendary coach, kids will come and sit a year to play for a winner.

What a game!! WT wins 100-98 over Cameron in 4OT!

Quote Originally Posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
    What a game!! WT wins 100-98 over Cameron in 4OT!
    After a horrible 1st half shooting with only 18 pts that was an incredible effort by both teams. Good clutch shooting late by everyone.

That was an incredible game. WT certainly made the right adjustments at intermission and got back into the game.

Cameron made three's twice at the buzzer to push the game into another period. Great effort by both teams. Bet they will all sleep good tonight.

Yeah, that was a helluva game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    So, according to your logic your endowment determines the difficulty of the school. University of Houston has well over $600 million so it be way more academically challenging than ASU. NOT
    According to the UH foundation they have $111,444,083 in endowed scholarships not $600,000,000. I'm guessing the other $500,000,00 is designated for other purposes.

At ASU the Carr scholarship endowment alone is over $120,000,000 and there are a bunch of others. That is $120,000,000 at a 7,000 student campus vs $111,000,000 at a 30,000 student campus. Go figure.

Logic would make sense that the courses are more difficult because they are more advanced courses. There is a significant difference between Freshman and Senior level classes. Example being intro to political science vs Political Theory.

I agree with TEXCAP here that it is to difficult to make a blanket statement like ASU has more difficult classes. I have taken the same class twice with two different professors and found the difficulty of class varied despite covering the same material. (I overloaded a semester) Maybe it is teaching style or even just personality but my first run at the class was significantly easier versus the last time.
    Last edited by BuffTough; 01-08-2017 at 06:00 PM.

According to the UH foundation they have $111,444,083 in endowed scholarships not $600,000,000. I'm guessing the other $500,000,00 is designated for other purposes.

At ASU the Carr scholarship endowment alone is over $120,000,000 and there are a bunch of others. That is $120,000,000 at a 7,000 student campus vs $111,000,000 at a 30,000 student campus. Go figure.
    Listen, the point was made that ASU is more academically challenging than other schools. Looking st the admission standards of ASU and rankings on US News and World Report doesn't support the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    I'm just taking the words of the athletes that I personally know that have transferred from D1's and other LSC schools to ASU...everyone of them has said the coursework is much harder here.
    The athletes that you know are filling you full of bullsh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    The athletes that you know are filling you full of bullsh*t.
    To each their own, you don't have to believe it.

Commerce has been better than expected this year. Looking forward to Tarleton game tomorrow after a long run of road games where we went 6-1 so far including an upset over ASU this week. I guess we will see where we are after tomorrow. 12-2 on the season.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast