Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 312

Thread: OT - LSC Basketball

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    1,722
    Rep Power
    4605

    Default OT - LSC Basketball

    WT's Women were selected as the preseason favorite, while Jasmine Prophet was named the Preseason Player of the Year. The rest of the league is picked to shake out like this:
    2) Angelo State
    3) Texas Woman's
    4) Tarleton State
    5) TAMU-C
    6) Cameron
    T7) ENMU
    T7) Midwestern State
    9)UTPB
    10) WNMU
    11)TAMU-K

    The Men's side has Midwestern State winning the league while David Chavlovich was selected as the Preseason POY. The rest of the league is picked to go this way:
    2)Tarleton State
    3) Angelo State
    4) WTAMU
    5) TAMU-C
    6) TAMU-K
    7) Cameron
    8) ENMU
    9) UTPB
    10) WNMU

    The men's league will be an absolute dog fight with the talent that is in this league. There are 3 top 15 teams in the preseason poll. There will be no easy games.

    Looking forward to a great season.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    688
    Rep Power
    1761

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    This post looks prettier than mine haha

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    1,722
    Rep Power
    4605

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Casual_Observer View Post
    This post looks prettier than mine haha
    It's why it took me longer to post it! :)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    688
    Rep Power
    1761

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball


  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wall, TX
    Posts
    9,515
    Rep Power
    1866

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    ASU vs UTsucks will be on the Longhorn network tonight at 7:00.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    688
    Rep Power
    1761

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    ive set that to record and MSU women play OU tonight on FSOK 676 on directtv.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    1,722
    Rep Power
    4605

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloFan View Post
    ASU vs UTsucks will be on the Longhorn network tonight at 7:00.
    Although the score ended up being a 40 point difference, I was very impressed with our Rams. They knew going in that the size of Texas would be a huge hinderance to our game and it was on the offensive end for us; however, watching our bigs play defense was very encouraging. Those two bigs for Texas were huge gets in the recruiting world and ASU will not have to face anyone nearly as talented as those two guys. One of our bigs played very good defense and will be a very important piece going forward. He can alter and block a ton of shots and will continue to do so in the LSC. Watching Quay King go against the speed of Texas' guards will only help. The announcers were very impressed with Quay and his ability to get shots off. I think a lot of the shots that weren't going down last night, go down against LSC teams due to the 1/2 second difference in speed in going up a division. All in all, no one got hurt and it was a great experience for our guys. And I believe it will pay dividends going forward.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    688
    Rep Power
    1761

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    Midwestern State 47
    ## Player GS FGM-FGA 3FGM-3FGA FTM-FTA OFF-DEF TOT PF TP A TO BLK STL MIN
    40 QUEEN, Avery * 3-10 0-0 2-4 2-1 3 3 8 0 4 0 0 28
    5 RYDELL, Kristin * 3-9 1-5 1-2 0-2 2 4 8 1 1 0 1 17
    42 TAYLOR, Whitney * 3-9 1-4 0-0 2-2 4 2 7 2 6 0 0 34
    12 ARBUCKLE, Jennifer * 2-10 0-1 2-2 0-3 3 0 6 1 3 0 1 29
    2 RICHARDSON, Jasmine * 1-2 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 3 2 0 4 0 0 12
    25 SCHOLL, Anni 3-7 3-5 2-2 0-4 4 1 11 1 4 0 0 19
    1 JAMES, Leanna 1-2 1-2 2-2 1-1 2 2 5 2 4 0 0 20
    21 TRIPP, Montoria 0-1 0-1 0-0 0-2 2 1 0 0 4 0 0 15
    30 SCHNEIDER, Mica 0-0 0-0 0-0 1-0 1 2 0 0 3 0 1 12
    24 KERR, Courtney 0-1 0-0 0-0 1-1 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 8
    4 JONES, Alyssa 0-0 0-0 0-0 0-1 1 0 0 1 2 0 0 6
    TM TEAM 0-0 0-0 0-0 3-5 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    TOTALS - 16-51 6-18 9-12 10-22 32 18 47 8 35 0 3 200
    Got home late last night from Norman. Our girls Basketball team looks like they have improved from last year (really had no where to go but up).

    The shot selection was good most of the night, the decisions in the 2nd QTR run by OU were questionable. Trying to force passes is what will get you beat.

    Takeaways from the game:
    Great Start by the Mustangs - We led OU at the end of the 1st QTR 21-20. Anni Scholl looks to have worked on her game during the summer, she had 3 3's in the 1st QTR.
    Rebounding - MSU lost the rebounding battle by 4. They battled hard with the OU girls who's guards were taller than all of MSUs post.
    Kind of what AngeloFan said about ASU, the girls missed shots that they normally hit in a LSC game. Leading Scorer's from last year had a rough night, (Arbuckle 2-10 6PTS, Taylor 3-9 7PTS).
    MSU only had 2 Healthy post last night, Arbuckle played 29 Mins (18 in the first half), Queen (D1 Transfer from Denver) played 28 Mins (17 in the second half). I think some fresher legs would've helped the Mustangs. Lauren Newman (Juco Transfer/D1 at New Mexico) and Micheline Mercelita (D1 Transfer UTRGV) are more athletic type posts that would've helped in the post creating mismatches.
    Our guards will need to feed the posts more and will need to make better decisions against Tech. Jasmine Richardson (Juco/ Western Texas) was in foul trouble, if she can stay out of foul trouble then our offense will be better because of her scoring ability.

    Things I think will Improve Sunday vs Tech:
    Key players shots to fall
    Rebounding, Hopefully we will win the rebounding battle
    Fresher legs in the post ( Should get at least 1 post back from injury maybe 2)
    Guards not forcing passes
    Better against the press

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    13,020
    Rep Power
    40281

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    I think any one of the top 4 men's teams could win region. It depends on who is on a roll in mid-March.

    WT men have looked good in the practices I've watched. They are much further along than they were at this time a year ago. Having lost only one senior, older, more experienced, stronger, and with a 6'11 guy that can run the floor and defend with some attitude, the Buffs will be tough.. The return of Carl White after a medical RS year (hand) is good for the Buffs. He has really filled out and looks taller, too. Chavlovich is fully healthy and has been knocking them down like M&M's. He could play for anybody.

    Should be an exciting season. WT men may have the toughest schedule in the nation. Besides the LSC meat grinder, in their first 6 games WT faces 4 teams that made the national tournament. No pre-LSC Tarleton-style cream puff schedule for us. Better to get a win (even a loss) against a top 25 team than one over South Central Texas Unaffiliated Assembly of Gods College and Restaurant.

    Lady Buffs have a ways to go, IMO, getting everybody acclimated. Very, very talented. But, with 2 transfers that will (IMO) start, Sydney Walton (Okie State) and CeCe Wooten (Weber State), they are learning to play together with the returners. Lady Buffs have some new wrinkles on offense and defense. The coaches are trying to cram in a lot of teaching early on. We'll be a different team this year. Deeper, better balanced, less dependent for scoring on Sasha Watson and the departed senior Niehaus girl. Allie Decker (Wichita State) is looking like the player we all expected last year. She's healthy, playing with a big smile, and whoa that range she's got on her treys is something to behold.

    We may take an early lump next week in California with Cal Baptist. A semi-finalist last year, they return 4 starters. Lady Buffs, IMO, will be a more solid, consistent team this year. I predict our offense, which was stilted at times last year, will be much better, more fluid. If our defense is as good as last years, holding teams to around 55 ppg, the Lady Buffs will go further than they did last year. That could be petty far. I expect Kevin Baker's ASU bunch to be better as well. It should be a great race. I think everyone else will be playing for 3rd place in the regular season.

    We'll be heading to LA next week and I will give my impressions of the LA Tip-Off tournament then. Both WT teams will be there.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 10-27-2016 at 08:57 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Old School---WTSU
    Posts
    5,933
    Rep Power
    5682

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I think any one of the top 4 men's teams could win region. It depends on who is on a roll in mid-March.

    WT men have looked good in the practices I've watched. They are much further along than they were at this time a year ago. Having lost only one senior, older, more experienced, stronger, and with a 6'11 guy that can run the floor and defend with some attitude, the Buffs will be tough.. The return of Carl White after a medical RS year (hand) is good for the Buffs. He has really filled out and looks taller, too. Chavlovich is fully healthy and has been knocking them down like M&M's. He could play for anybody.

    Should be an exciting season. WT men may have the toughest schedule in the nation. Besides the LSC meat grinder, in their first 6 games WT faces 4 teams that made the national tournament. No pre-LSC Tarleton-style cream puff schedule for us. Better to get a win (even a loss) against a top 25 team than one over South Central Texas Unaffiliated Assembly of Gods College and Restaurant.

    Lady Buffs have a ways to go, IMO, getting everybody acclimated. Very, very talented. But, with 2 transfers that will (IMO) start, Sydney Walton (Okie State) and CeCe Wooten (Weber State), they are learning to play together with the returners. Lady Buffs have some new wrinkles on offense and defense. The coaches are trying to cram in a lot of teaching early on. We'll be a different team this year. Deeper, better balanced, less dependent for scoring on Sasha Watson and the departed senior Niehaus girl. Allie Decker (Wichita State) is looking like the player we all expected last year. She's healthy, playing with a big smile, and whoa that range she's got on her treys is something to behold.

    We may take an early lump next week in California with Cal Baptist. A semi-finalist last year, they return 4 starters. Lady Buffs, IMO, will be a more solid, consistent team this year. I predict our offense, which was stilted at times last year, will be much better, more fluid. If our defense is as good as last years, holding teams to around 55 ppg, the Lady Buffs will go further than they did last year. That could be petty far. I expect Kevin Baker's ASU bunch to be better as well. It should be a great race. I think everyone else will be playing for 3rd place in the regular season.

    We'll be heading to LA next week and I will give my impressions of the LA Tip-Off tournament then. Both WT teams will be there.
    So is Hightower a starter or sixth man

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    13,020
    Rep Power
    40281

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
    So is Hightower a starter or sixth man
    I see her as the first wing off of the bench. Hightower is a player. By mid-January she'll look like a junior instead of a freshman.

    Who starts or comes in off of the bench is immaterial. In practice there is no starting group or second group. Our talent level is impressively interchangeable (except for Sasha Watson-she does things few girls can do). We're going to be pretty good.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 10-28-2016 at 09:29 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Old School---WTSU
    Posts
    5,933
    Rep Power
    5682

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I see her as the first wing off of the bench. Hightower is a player. By mid-January she'll look like a junior instead of a freshman.

    Who starts or comes in off of the bench is immaterial. In practice there is no starting group or second group. Our talent level is impressively interchangeable (except for Sasha Watson-she does things few girls can do). We're going to be pretty good.
    Reagan has looked much improved, Hightower may play some point also

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    13,020
    Rep Power
    40281

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
    Reagan has looked much improved, Hightower may play some point also
    I'd tout Reagan as the most improved player. Hightower can play the 1,2, or 3.

  14. #14

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I think any one of the top 4 men's teams could win region. It depends on who is on a roll in mid-March.

    Should be an exciting season. WT men may have the toughest schedule in the nation. Besides the LSC meat grinder, in their first 6 games WT faces 4 teams that made the national tournament. No pre-LSC Tarleton-style cream puff schedule for us. Better to get a win (even a loss) against a top 25 team than one over South Central Texas Unaffiliated Assembly of Gods College and Restaurant.
    I guess you don't really understand how it works. It's not as easy as saying you want to play someone and just scheduling them. When you win back to back regional championships, it causes teams to not want anything to do with you. In the past, with 18 in-region games required, the school's in our region had enough in-region games with only their conference games so they didn't have to play more in-region games. That leads to the bottom of the barrel in-region teams accepting games just to get the money out of it. When it's required to find 2-4 in-region games for postseason eligibility, you do what you have to do. And comparing schedules, WT's schedule isn't much different than Tarleton's. WT is playing a couple more regional qualifiers from last year than Tarleton is but Adams State, UCCS, and CSU-Pueblo are on Tarleton's schedule and all have an outside chance to win the RMAC this year. WT also has 3 more games with the tournament in California next week being an exempt tournament so the games don't count against the total games allowed, but count in their record. In the end, comparing schedules and scores means nothing when it comes to the LSC.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    13,020
    Rep Power
    40281

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by TSUTexans View Post
    I guess you don't really understand how it works. It's not as easy as saying you want to play someone and just scheduling them. When you win back to back regional championships, it causes teams to not want anything to do with you. In the past, with 18 in-region games required, the school's in our region had enough in-region games with only their conference games so they didn't have to play more in-region games. That leads to the bottom of the barrel in-region teams accepting games just to get the money out of it. When it's required to find 2-4 in-region games for postseason eligibility, you do what you have to do. And comparing schedules, WT's schedule isn't much different than Tarleton's. WT is playing a couple more regional qualifiers from last year than Tarleton is but Adams State, UCCS, and CSU-Pueblo are on Tarleton's schedule and all have an outside chance to win the RMAC this year. WT also has 3 more games with the tournament in California next week being an exempt tournament so the games don't count against the total games allowed, but count in their record. In the end, comparing schedules and scores means nothing when it comes to the LSC.
    Yeah, yeah, I understand how it works. Reisman schedules 7 or 8 pieces of cheesecake at home to start the season. Year after year, it's the same thing. Actually, this year's Tarleton pre-LSC schedule is a little bit better than most in the recent past. I could use the same excuse for WT. I can't tell you how many times Rick Cooper complained to me he couldn't get anybody to play in Canyon. Tom Brown's had the same problem. We recently added a game to our schedule only after increasing the money substantially.

    I'm was just pricking you guys. Get it. And someone took the bait.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 10-28-2016 at 09:24 AM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West-o-plex
    Posts
    338
    Rep Power
    54

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    Going to have growing pains this season for my Texans. I expect MSU to take it this year. Sorry... just realistic.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    688
    Rep Power
    1761

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    We will not be as physical as we have been in the past. Which will probably hurt us in conference play.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    13,020
    Rep Power
    40281

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Casual_Observer View Post
    We will not be as physical as we have been in the past. Which will probably hurt us in conference play.
    I see where Midwestern has an exhibition game with OCU Monday night. OCU's HC is former WT asst and interim HC, Vinay Patel. V's guys beat SWOkla a couple nights ago 80-59. Let me know how it goes.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    688
    Rep Power
    1761

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    End of 1st 21-20 MSU looks good. And they are down 4 posts

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Old School---WTSU
    Posts
    5,933
    Rep Power
    5682

    Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    WT's Women were selected as the preseason favorite, while Jasmine Prophet was named the Preseason Player of the Year. The rest of the league is picked to shake out like this:
    2) Angelo State
    3) Texas Woman's
    4) Tarleton State
    5) TAMU-C
    6) Cameron
    T7) ENMU
    T7) Midwestern State
    9)UTPB
    10) WNMU
    11)TAMU-K

    The Men's side has Midwestern State winning the league while David Chavlovich was selected as the Preseason POY. The rest of the league is picked to go this way:
    2)Tarleton State
    3) Angelo State
    4) WTAMU
    5) TAMU-C
    6) TAMU-K
    7) Cameron
    8) ENMU
    9) UTPB
    10) WNMU

    The men's league will be an absolute dog fight with the talent that is in this league. There are 3 top 15 teams in the preseason poll. There will be no easy games.

    Looking forward to a great season.
    I'm confused---Wt #9 preseason in the nation & #4 in the LSC?!?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •