Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - LSC Basketball

Contribute to D2

Default OT - LSC Basketball

WT's Women were selected as the preseason favorite, while Jasmine Prophet was named the Preseason Player of the Year. The rest of the league is picked to shake out like this:
    2) Angelo State
    3) Texas Woman's
    4) Tarleton State
    5) TAMU-C
    6) Cameron
    T7) ENMU
    T7) Midwestern State
    9)UTPB
    10) WNMU
    11)TAMU-K

The Men's side has Midwestern State winning the league while David Chavlovich was selected as the Preseason POY. The rest of the league is picked to go this way:
    2)Tarleton State
    3) Angelo State
    4) WTAMU
    5) TAMU-C
    6) TAMU-K
    7) Cameron
    8) ENMU
    9) UTPB
    10) WNMU

The men's league will be an absolute dog fight with the talent that is in this league. There are 3 top 15 teams in the preseason poll. There will be no easy games.

Looking forward to a great season.

Default Re: OT - LSC Basketball

This post looks prettier than mine haha

Quote Originally Posted by Casual_Observer View Post
    This post looks prettier than mine haha
    It's why it took me longer to post it! :)

I think any one of the top 4 men's teams could win region. It depends on who is on a roll in mid-March.

WT men have looked good in the practices I've watched. They are much further along than they were at this time a year ago. Having lost only one senior, older, more experienced, stronger, and with a 6'11 guy that can run the floor and defend with some attitude, the Buffs will be tough.. The return of Carl White after a medical RS year (hand) is good for the Buffs. He has really filled out and looks taller, too. Chavlovich is fully healthy and has been knocking them down like M&M's. He could play for anybody.

Should be an exciting season. WT men may have the toughest schedule in the nation. Besides the LSC meat grinder, in their first 6 games WT faces 4 teams that made the national tournament. No pre-LSC Tarleton-style cream puff schedule for us. Better to get a win (even a loss) against a top 25 team than one over South Central Texas Unaffiliated Assembly of Gods College and Restaurant.

Lady Buffs have a ways to go, IMO, getting everybody acclimated. Very, very talented. But, with 2 transfers that will (IMO) start, Sydney Walton (Okie State) and CeCe Wooten (Weber State), they are learning to play together with the returners. Lady Buffs have some new wrinkles on offense and defense. The coaches are trying to cram in a lot of teaching early on. We'll be a different team this year. Deeper, better balanced, less dependent for scoring on Sasha Watson and the departed senior Niehaus girl. Allie Decker (Wichita State) is looking like the player we all expected last year. She's healthy, playing with a big smile, and whoa that range she's got on her treys is something to behold.

We may take an early lump next week in California with Cal Baptist. A semi-finalist last year, they return 4 starters. Lady Buffs, IMO, will be a more solid, consistent team this year. I predict our offense, which was stilted at times last year, will be much better, more fluid. If our defense is as good as last years, holding teams to around 55 ppg, the Lady Buffs will go further than they did last year. That could be petty far. I expect Kevin Baker's ASU bunch to be better as well. It should be a great race. I think everyone else will be playing for 3rd place in the regular season.

We'll be heading to LA next week and I will give my impressions of the LA Tip-Off tournament then. Both WT teams will be there.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 10-27-2016 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I think any one of the top 4 men's teams could win region. It depends on who is on a roll in mid-March.

Should be an exciting season. WT men may have the toughest schedule in the nation. Besides the LSC meat grinder, in their first 6 games WT faces 4 teams that made the national tournament. No pre-LSC Tarleton-style cream puff schedule for us. Better to get a win (even a loss) against a top 25 team than one over South Central Texas Unaffiliated Assembly of Gods College and Restaurant.
    I guess you don't really understand how it works. It's not as easy as saying you want to play someone and just scheduling them. When you win back to back regional championships, it causes teams to not want anything to do with you. In the past, with 18 in-region games required, the school's in our region had enough in-region games with only their conference games so they didn't have to play more in-region games. That leads to the bottom of the barrel in-region teams accepting games just to get the money out of it. When it's required to find 2-4 in-region games for postseason eligibility, you do what you have to do. And comparing schedules, WT's schedule isn't much different than Tarleton's. WT is playing a couple more regional qualifiers from last year than Tarleton is but Adams State, UCCS, and CSU-Pueblo are on Tarleton's schedule and all have an outside chance to win the RMAC this year. WT also has 3 more games with the tournament in California next week being an exempt tournament so the games don't count against the total games allowed, but count in their record. In the end, comparing schedules and scores means nothing when it comes to the LSC.

Quote Originally Posted by TSUTexans View Post
    I guess you don't really understand how it works. It's not as easy as saying you want to play someone and just scheduling them. When you win back to back regional championships, it causes teams to not want anything to do with you. In the past, with 18 in-region games required, the school's in our region had enough in-region games with only their conference games so they didn't have to play more in-region games. That leads to the bottom of the barrel in-region teams accepting games just to get the money out of it. When it's required to find 2-4 in-region games for postseason eligibility, you do what you have to do. And comparing schedules, WT's schedule isn't much different than Tarleton's. WT is playing a couple more regional qualifiers from last year than Tarleton is but Adams State, UCCS, and CSU-Pueblo are on Tarleton's schedule and all have an outside chance to win the RMAC this year. WT also has 3 more games with the tournament in California next week being an exempt tournament so the games don't count against the total games allowed, but count in their record. In the end, comparing schedules and scores means nothing when it comes to the LSC.
    Yeah, yeah, I understand how it works. Reisman schedules 7 or 8 pieces of cheesecake at home to start the season. Year after year, it's the same thing. Actually, this year's Tarleton pre-LSC schedule is a little bit better than most in the recent past. I could use the same excuse for WT. I can't tell you how many times Rick Cooper complained to me he couldn't get anybody to play in Canyon. Tom Brown's had the same problem. We recently added a game to our schedule only after increasing the money substantially.

I'm was just pricking you guys. Get it. And someone took the bait.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 10-28-2016 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    WT's Women were selected as the preseason favorite, while Jasmine Prophet was named the Preseason Player of the Year. The rest of the league is picked to shake out like this:
    2) Angelo State
    3) Texas Woman's
    4) Tarleton State
    5) TAMU-C
    6) Cameron
    T7) ENMU
    T7) Midwestern State
    9)UTPB
    10) WNMU
    11)TAMU-K

The Men's side has Midwestern State winning the league while David Chavlovich was selected as the Preseason POY. The rest of the league is picked to go this way:
    2)Tarleton State
    3) Angelo State
    4) WTAMU
    5) TAMU-C
    6) TAMU-K
    7) Cameron
    8) ENMU
    9) UTPB
    10) WNMU

The men's league will be an absolute dog fight with the talent that is in this league. There are 3 top 15 teams in the preseason poll. There will be no easy games.

Looking forward to a great season.
    I'm confused---Wt #9 preseason in the nation & #4 in the LSC?!?

WT men have looked good in the practices I've watched. They are much further along than they were at this time a year ago. Having lost only one senior, older, more experienced, stronger, and with a 6'11 guy that can run the floor and defend with some attitude, the Buffs will be tough.. The return of Carl White after a medical RS year (hand) is good for the Buffs. He has really filled out and looks taller, too. Chavlovich is fully healthy and has been knocking them down like M&M's. He could play for anybody.

Lady Buffs have a ways to go, IMO, getting everybody acclimated. Very, very talented. But, with 2 transfers that will (IMO) start, Sydney Walton (Okie State) and CeCe Wooten (Weber State), they are learning to play together with the returners. Lady Buffs have some new wrinkles on offense and defense. The coaches are trying to cram in a lot of teaching early on. We'll be a different team this year. Deeper, better balanced, less dependent for scoring on Sasha Watson and the departed senior Niehaus girl. Allie Decker (Wichita State) is looking like the player we all expected last year. She's healthy, playing with a big smile, and whoa that range she's got on her treys is something to behold.

We may take an early lump next week in California with Cal Baptist. A semi-finalist last year, they return 4 starters. Lady Buffs, IMO, will be a more solid, consistent team this year. I predict our offense, which was stilted at times last year, will be much better, more fluid. If our defense is as good as last years, holding teams to around 55 ppg, the Lady Buffs will go further than they did last year. That could be petty far. I expect Kevin Baker's ASU bunch to be better as well. It should be a great race. I think everyone else will be playing for 3rd place in the regular season.

We'll be heading to LA next week and I will give my impressions of the LA Tip-Off tournament then. Both WT teams will be there.
    So is Hightower a starter or sixth man

Quote Originally Posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
    I guess we will see which poll is correct. I think I would take coaches and Lsc media votes over that national poll.

South Central Texas Unaffiliated Assembly of Gods College and Restaurant.

BWHAHAHAHA!!! POY nominee.

So is Hightower a starter or sixth man
    I see her as the first wing off of the bench. Hightower is a player. By mid-January she'll look like a junior instead of a freshman.

Who starts or comes in off of the bench is immaterial. In practice there is no starting group or second group. Our talent level is impressively interchangeable (except for Sasha Watson-she does things few girls can do). We're going to be pretty good.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 10-28-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    South Central Texas Unaffiliated Assembly of Gods College and Restaurant.

BWHAHAHAHA!!! POY nominee.
    Don't laugh. They return 3 starters and a fry cook.

The same national poll that has WT at #9 has Angelo State at #5 and they are only at #3 in the LSC.

I see her as the first wing off of the bench. Hightower is a player. By mid-January she'll look like a junior instead of a freshman.

Who starts or comes in off of the bench is immaterial. In practice there is no starting group or second group. Our talent level is impressively interchangeable (except for Sasha Watson-she does things few girls can do). We're going to be pretty good.
    Reagan has looked much improved, Hightower may play some point also

Reagan has looked much improved, Hightower may play some point also
    I'd tout Reagan as the most improved player. Hightower can play the 1,2, or 3.

Midwestern Men's Basketball Team played University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma last night. The won 107 - 75. This team will not be as physical as they have been in the past. Igor Ibaka is good player, I just feel like we will have to rely on him to much to get boards.

Who Impressed:
    Igor Ibaka 5-7 FG - 15 pts - 10 Reb - 1-1 3FG in 23 Mins *Brother of Serge Ibaka
    Shawn Nottingham 11-14 FG - 22 Pts - 5 Reb - 6 Ast - 3 Stls in 22 Mins
    Pat Smith 5-8 FG - 14 Pts - 4-6 3FG - 3 Ast in 24 Mins
    Sheldon Hagigal - 5-8 FG - 15 Pts - 3-3 3FG - 6 Reb - 3 Ast in 15 Mins

Who did not:
    Magnus Richards - Could not stay out of foul trouble. 6 points in 17 Mins
    Devante Pullum - Scored just 4 points and 4 Ast

2016-17 WBCA
    NCAA Division II Top 25 Coaches' Poll
    Preseason Poll | November 1, 2016
    The WBCA NCAA Division II Preseason Top 25 Coaches’ Poll with teams’ RECORDS FROM 2015-16 SEASON, total points based on 25 points for first place through one point for 25th, first-place votes received and ranking in the 2015-16 postseason poll:
    2015-16 1st Place 2015-16
    Rank School Record Points Votes Final Rank
    1 Bentley 29-6 570 12 3
    2 California Baptist 29-3 517 2 5
    3 West Texas A&M 28-5 481 2 T12
    4 Emporia State 28-6 479 3 16
    5 Ashland 31-2 453 1 7
    6 Florida Southern 27-6 427 0 9
    7 Limestone 30-1 414 1 11
    8 California (PA) 25-6 389 0 NR
    9 Bellarmine 24-4 380 1 NR
    10 Alaska - Anchorage 38-3 373 0 2
    11 Lubbock Christian 35-0 371 2 1
    12 Pittsburg State 29-6 351 0 6
    13 Grand Valley State 26-10 297 0 8
    14 Virginia Union 28-3 269 0 4
    15 Benedict 29-3 212 0 10
    16 Winona State 30-4 208 0 T12
    17 UC San Diego 26-5 189 0 20
    18 Queens (NY) 21-9 182 0 NR
    19 Union (TN) 28-4 173 0 22
    20 Lewis 28-3 144 0 15
    21. (tie) Anderson (SC) 23-7 137 0 NR
    21. (tie) Lander 25-7 137 0 NR
    23 Nova Southeastern 24-7 89 0 NR
    24 Angelo State 23-8 70 0 NR
    25. (tie) Arkansas Tech 27-4 62 0 17
    25. (tie) Shaw 24-8 62 0 NR
    Dropped Out: No. 14 Drury; No. 18 West Liberty; No. 19 Missouri Western State; No. 21 Azusa Pacific; No. 23 Francis Marion; No. 24 Fort Hayes State; No. 25 Augusta.
    Others receiving votes: Northern State 55; Western Washington 54; Colorado State-Pueblo 44; Saginaw Valley 44; Ursuline 31; Drury 30; Saint Anselm 21; Francis Marion 14; Missouri Western State 13; Bloomfield 9; Azusa Pacific 7; Point Loma Nazarene 4; Washburn 3; West Liberty 3. [Note: 11 teams mentioned on only one ballot for a total of 31 combined points.]
    The WBCA NCAA Division II Coaches’ Poll Committee is made up of 24 head coaches at NCAA Division II institutions — one from each conference. The committee for the 2016-17 season: Trisha Brown, Stonehill; Debbie Buff, Wheeling Jesuit; David Caputo, Bloomfield; Jory Collins, Emporia State; Jacques Curtis, Shaw; Carmen Dolfo, Western Washington; Jason Flores, Fort Lewis; Sheila Green-Gerding, Minot State; Russell Gregg, Erskine; Scott Groninger, West Georgia; Darin Grover, Southeastern Oklahoma State; T.J. Hardeman, Asuza Pacific; Noel Johnson, Midwestern State; Carrie Lohr, Wayne State (MI); Jason Martens, St. Mary’s (Texas); Kerri Nakamoto, Cal State-Monterey; Bet Naumovski, Queens (New York); Katie Pate, Lenoir Rhyne; Kevin Pederson, Lander; John Reynolds, Florida Tech; James Rice, Benedict; Jessica Strom, California (Pennsylvania); Shannon Sword, Ursuline; Katie Vaughn, Missouri-St. Louis.

NABC D2 COACHES' POLL
    Rank School (1st votes) Record Points Last
    1 West Liberty (W. Va.) (11) 31-4 394 5
    2 Lincoln Memorial (Tenn.) 34-3 368 1
    3 Bellarmine (Ky.) (4) 23-7 357 15
    4 Saginaw Valley State (Mich.) 25-8 282 25
    5 Alabama-Huntsville 25-8 276 NR
    6 Northwest Missouri State 27-6 270 11
    7 Wheeling Jesuit (W. Va.) 28-4 257 6
    8 St. Thomas Aquinas (N.Y.) 27-5 242 NR
    9 California Baptist 28-7 210 14
    10 Tarleton State (Texas) 24-9 201 NR
    11 Chico State (Calif.) 22-7 195 20
    12 Alaska-Anchorage 21-11 189 NR
    13 Southern Connecticut State 22-8 185 NR
    14 Kutztown (Pa.) 23-7 156 NR
    15 Fort Lewis (Colo.) 28-4 127 4
    16 Barry (Fla.) 26-7 115 19
    17 Minnesota State 22-10 109 NR
    18 Augustana (S.D.) 34-2 105 2
    19 Angelo State (Texas) 25-7 98 16
    20 Midwestern State 24-6 92 7
    21 Colorado Mines 24-8 91 NR
    22 Drury (Mo.) 19-8 81 NR
    23 Arkansas-Fort Smith 23-9 76 NR
    24 Indiana (Pa.) 21-8 66 NR
    25 Fairmont State (W. Va.) (1) 25-5 62 8

Others Receiving Votes: Queens (N.C.) 55; Western Oregon 44; Indianapolis (Ind.) 42; Delta State (Miss.) 41; Montevallo (Ala.) 32; West Texas A&M 32; Kentucky Wesleyan 31; Lander (S.C.) 31; West Georgia 31; Southern New Hampshire 28; Azusa Pacific (Calif.) 24; Minnesota State-Moorhead 17; Eckerd (Fla.) 16; Philadelphia (Pa.) 16; Quincy (Ill.) 15; Seattle Pacific (Wash.) 15; Stonehill (Mass.) 13; Lewis (Ill.) 12; East Stroudsburg (Pa.) 11; Wisconsin-Parkside 11; Barton (N.C.) 9; Western Washington 9; Wingate (N.C.) 9; Washburn (Kan.) 8; Benedict (S.C.) 7; Ashland (Ohio) 6; Virginia State 6; Virginia Union 6; Dixie State (Utah) 5; East Central (Okla.) 4; Dallas Baptist (Texas) 3; UC-San Diego 3; Point Loma (Calif.) 2; Metro State-Denver (Colo.) 1; West Florida 1.

The Tarleton men's team may be real interesting to watch this year. Going to be young as we have four juco's, five redshirt freshmen, two juniors and two seniors. Very athletic. Will the juco's buy into the system? If yes, then this team could go back to the elite eight.

There are at least five team from the LSC who could go to the elite eight. It should be a great year.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast