Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Texarkana Bowl: Texas A&M-Commerce v. Harding

Contribute to D2

Default Re: 2013 Texarkana Bowl: Texas A&M-Commerce v. Harding

Quote Originally Posted by ArMoFBFan View Post
    I think Commerce will be helped by having played ENMU recently.

I did find an ENMU game from this year (their game against Texas A&M-Kingsville) and got to watch a good bit of it. Speaking as someone who grew up watching a lot of Navy football and having seen a lot of triple-option over the years, ENMU has potential. However, ENMU is not at the level of Harding (nor Missouri Southern, Lenoir-Rhyne or Carson-Newman) in terms of their triple-option running game.
    Offensivley one of the worst games ENMU played all year, combination of an ENMU team coming off a high from beating WT and a Kingsville team playing inspired football trying to keep the wheels from coming completely off the bus for their season. If you look at ENMU's other games they run the ball with the rest of them, the qb is not so much of a home run threat but he has learned to run that offense efficiently. ENMU's other backs on the other hand are something special, no team could focus on keying on any one back, they all ran the ball effectively, showing how well Burmma ran the offense. Also ENMU's defense was pretty good all year, especially considering how many times the Offense turned the ball over in the shadow of their own endzone.

Commerce has some legit lineman, they are not just big they are very good and very agile. Offensively they have one of the fastest WR in the nation who can get open even when you know he is getting the ball deep, he is that fast. If it were not for him ENMU probably would have blown out Commerce.

ENMU ran a similar offense as Harding against much tougher opponents, and I think the boys in the GAC will find that out cause over all Commerce defended the option fairly decent against ENMU.
    (Either that or Commerce totaly blows the game and makes us all look like dunces)

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    Offensivley one of the worst games ENMU played all year, combination of an ENMU team coming off a high from beating WT and a Kingsville team playing inspired football trying to keep the wheels from coming completely off the bus for their season. If you look at ENMU's other games they run the ball with the rest of them, the qb is not so much of a home run threat but he has learned to run that offense efficiently. ENMU's other backs on the other hand are something special, no team could focus on keying on any one back, they all ran the ball effectively, showing how well Burmma ran the offense. Also ENMU's defense was pretty good all year, especially considering how many times the Offense turned the ball over in the shadow of their own endzone.

Commerce has some legit lineman, they are not just big they are very good and very agile. Offensively they have one of the fastest WR in the nation who can get open even when you know he is getting the ball deep, he is that fast. If it were not for him ENMU probably would have blown out Commerce.

ENMU ran a similar offense as Harding against much tougher opponents, and I think the boys in the GAC will find that out cause over all Commerce defended the option fairly decent against ENMU.
    (Either that or Commerce totaly blows the game and makes us all look like dunces)
    I think your referring to Johnson who had one receiving TD against you guys. However, when he gets "marked" out of the game, then we have 3 additional receivers that will pick up the slack like Smith did with his 3 TDs against you guys. My biggest concerns (equally ) are giving Harrison enough time to read the field and establishing the running game. Who knows, maybe Rollison will be ready to go!

Offensivley one of the worst games ENMU played all year, combination of an ENMU team coming off a high from beating WT and a Kingsville team playing inspired football trying to keep the wheels from coming completely off the bus for their season.
    Fair enough.

If you look at ENMU's other games they run the ball with the rest of them, the qb is not so much of a home run threat but he has learned to run that offense efficiently. ENMU's other backs on the other hand are something special, no team could focus on keying on any one back, they all ran the ball effectively, showing how well Burmma ran the offense.
    Please don’t misunderstand I wasn’t trying to take anything away from ENMU. I saw a lot of potential even in the Kingsville game. But speaking strictly as someone who has seen a lot of Navy football over the years, a team that runs the triple-option and still only averages 248 rushing ypg is mediocre from a triple-option standpoint. Good triple-option teams average close to 300+ rushing ypg. I do think ENMU’s passing attack (159 passing ypg) is great for a triple-option team and when they start averaging close to 300+ rushing ypg combined with keeping up the passing game they currently have…the rest of the LSC had better watch out. That will be a darn near unstoppable offense.

Also ENMU's defense was pretty good all year, especially considering how many times the Offense turned the ball over in the shadow of their own endzone.
    Sounds like HU’s defense in a couple of games. When HU played OBU, the team playing TSU in the HOT Bowl, OBU had the ball 7 times in the Red Zone---a couple of those due to turnovers---and only scored 4 times.

I figured TAMUC’s D-line was legit given they recorded 49 sacks on the year. Everything I keep hearing and seeing about TAMUC they are very similar to ECU. The differences between the two teams:
    1) TAMUC has faster receivers.
    2) ECU has a mobile QB, TAMUC does not.
    3) ECU's O-line is better than TAMUC's O-line (ECU gave up only 20 sacks, TAMUC gave up 39).
    4) ECU had a semblance of a running game this season, TAMUC never did.

Then HU will have to make sure they execute their passing game like they did against ECU, where HU went 8 of 13 for 186 passing yards and 2 TDs against ECU. That sort of performance should open up the running game.

LOL! I think this applies to both teams. HU’s offense has to show up. This is not a gimme game for either team. I think this game is likely to be won in the trenches.
    Last edited by ArMoFBFan; 11-26-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
    I think your referring to Johnson who had one receiving TD against you guys. However, when he gets "marked" out of the game, then we have 3 additional receivers that will pick up the slack like Smith did with his 3 TDs against you guys. My biggest concerns (equally ) are giving Harrison enough time to read the field and establishing the running game. Who knows, maybe Rollison will be ready to go!
    Agree totally that kid is the kind of guy that gets others opportunities to make big plays cause you have to focus so much attention on him. I will say this that commerce was the only team that consistently got that kind of big play production consistently on ENMU all year. Other teams had one maybe two but Commerce lived on the big play that day. Commerce never took a snap inside ENMU's 20 all their scoring plays were from outside of 25 yards.

Texas A&M Commerce is much better than they look on paper. Personally, I think this bowl game is a farce, but hey more football to watch/analyze is something I can appreciate. ArMoFBFan, you list a bunch of stats and are making comparisions based on what you feel are comparable teams. I would be interested to see how those stats look when placed side by with national rankings for those teams in those categories. If you have some free time, maybe even a list showing key stats for each team's opponents. I don't know much about the GAC or the strength of its teams at the national level. I do know that TAMUC has had to face WTAMU, Midwestern, and Tarlton this year. All three have been nationally ranked at some point during the season. Care to enlighten me on the GAC teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie8myBrainz View Post
    Texas A&M Commerce is much better than they look on paper.
    I'm afraid stats, video clips and what I've heard are all we in the GAC have to go by.

Personally, I think this bowl game is a farce, but hey more football to watch/analyze is something I can appreciate.
    Could you elaborate on your reasons?

ArMoFBFan, you list a bunch of stats and are making comparisions based on what you feel are comparable teams.
    Correct, based upon stats at the time TAMUC and HU were going into the games in question (ENMU v. TAMUC and ECU v. HU), and what I have seen and heard.

I would be interested to see how those stats look when placed side by with national rankings for those teams in those categories. If you have some free time, maybe even a list showing key stats for each team's opponents. I don't know much about the GAC or the strength of its teams at the national level. I do know that TAMUC has had to face WTAMU, Midwestern, and Tarlton this year. All three have been nationally ranked at some point during the season. Care to enlighten me on the GAC teams?
    Just to clarify, which are you asking for:

1) National poll rankings of GAC teams?
    Or
    2) Where GAC & LSC teams ranked nationally in the statistical categories I have listed in my analysis?
    Or
    3) The top GAC & LSC teams in the national statistical categories I have listed in my analysis?

ArMoFBFan,

Fair enough to you first response regarding having limited information to go by. To the second I feel that it is a farce because, I feel that a post-season bowl game should represent the best teams available in the conferences being represented (I'm not saying that ENMU is that team; Midwestern also has a very good program), that being said. I do realize that money is a big issue and that TAMUC can bring more people than the other options, so it is what it is. But by doing this bowl team selection in such a manner, I feel that this game is a poor measurement of competitiveness between the GAC and the LSC, hence a farce. And for the last, I think I'd like door #2. I only ask for this because it's easy to say that team A's defense is better than team B, but if team A has played nothing but lower tier offenses and Team B has played against premier offenses, they will tend to always look better statistically.

ArMoFBFan,

Fair enough to you first response regarding having limited information to go by. To the second I feel that it is a farce because, I feel that a post-season bowl game should represent the best teams available in the conferences being represented (I'm not saying that ENMU is that team; Midwestern also has a very good program), that being said. I do realize that money is a big issue and that TAMUC can bring more people than the other options, so it is what it is. But by doing this bowl team selection in such a manner, I feel that this game is a poor measurement of competitiveness between the GAC and the LSC, hence a farce. And for the last, I think I'd like door #2. I only ask for this because it's easy to say that team A's defense is better than team B, but if team A has played nothing but lower tier offenses and Team B has played against premier offenses, they will tend to always look better statistically.
    Would you settle for #3? The top team from each conference in each statistical category. Doing all 18 teams from both conference (GAC has 11 teams, LSC has 7 teams) is a lot to ask for in such a small amount of time.

Would you settle for #3? The top team from each conference in each statistical category. Doing all 18 teams from both conference (GAC has 11 teams, LSC has 7 teams) is a lot to ask for in such a small amount of time.
    #3 will do just fine.

Zombie8myBrainz,

Per your request, I have placed the best GAC & LSC teams in each category and posted their national ranking in that category in parenthesis. It should be noted that the NCAA considers all Red Zone Scores when calculating Red Zone Offense and Red Zone Defense, they do not rank for Red Zone TDs.

GAC LSC
    Total Offense: Henderson State - 576 ypg (1st)
    West Texas A&M - 506 ypg (8th)
    Rushing Offense:
    Harding – 366 ypg (3rd) Angelos State – 252 ypg (13th)
    Passing Offense:
    Henderson State – 428 ypg (1st) West Texas A&M – 395 ypg (2nd)
    Scoring Offense:
    Henderson State - 53 ppg (1st) West Texas A&M - 47 ppg (3rd)
    Red Zone Offense: Arkansas-Monticello - 91.4% (7th)
    West Texas A&M - 92 % (5th)
    3rd Down Conversion Offense: Ouachita Baptist – 48.1% (10th)
    West Texas A&M – 48.6% (5th)
    Sacks Against:
    Harding – 3 (1st) Tarleton – 12 (31st)

GAC LSC
    Total Defense: Harding – 339 ypg (33rd)
    Midwestern State - 341 ypg (34th)
    Rushing Defense:
    Harding – 71 ypg (3rd) Angelo State – 136 ypg (51st)
    Passing Defense:
    Arkansas-Monticello – 169 ypg (7th) Midwestern State - 188 ypg (24th)
    Scoring Defense:
    Harding – 22.7 ppg (38th) Midwestern State – 23.9 ppg (47th)
    Red Zone Defense: Harding – 73% (48th)
    West Texas A&M – 69.2% (26th)
    3rd Down Conversion Defense: Arkansas-Monticello – 33.3% (T-26th)
    Angelo State – 32.5% (21st)
    Sacks For:
    Harding – 36 (T-7th) Texas A&M-Commerce – 49 (2nd)

GAC LSC
    Turnover Margin Henderson State: +6 (T-46th) Midwestern State: +15 (6th)

Zombie8myBrainz,

Per your request, I have placed the best GAC & LSC teams in each category and posted their national ranking in that category in parenthesis. It should be noted that the NCAA considers all Red Zone Scores when calculating Red Zone Offense and Red Zone Defense, they do not rank for Red Zone TDs.

GAC LSC
    Total Offense: Henderson State - 576 ypg (1st) West Texas A&M - 506 ypg (8th)
    Rushing Offense: Harding – 366 ypg (3rd) Angelos State – 252 ypg (13th)
    Passing Offense: Henderson State – 428 ypg (1st) West Texas A&M – 395 ypg (2nd)
    Scoring Offense: Henderson State - 53 ppg (1st) West Texas A&M - 47 ppg (3rd)
    Red Zone Offense: Arkansas-Monticello - 91.4% (7th) West Texas A&M - 92 % (5th)
    3rd Down Conversion Offense: Ouachita Baptist – 48.1% (10th) West Texas A&M – 48.6% (5th)
    Sacks Against: Harding – 3 (1st) Tarleton – 12 (31st)

GAC LSC
    Total Defense: Harding – 339 ypg (33rd) Midwestern State - 341 ypg (34th)
    Rushing Defense: Harding – 71 ypg (3rd) Angelo State – 136 ypg (51st)
    Passing Defense: Arkansas-Monticello – 169 ypg (7th) Midwestern State - 188 ypg (24th)
    Scoring Defense: Harding – 22.7 ppg (38th) Midwestern State – 23.9 ppg (47th)
    Red Zone Defense: Harding – 73% (48th) West Texas A&M – 69.2% (26th)
    3rd Down Conversion Defense: Arkansas-Monticello – 33.3% (T-26th) Angelo State – 32.5% (21st)
    Sacks For: Harding – 36 (T-7th) Texas A&M-Commerce – 49 (2nd)

GAC LSC
    Turnover Margin Henderson State: +6 (T-46th) Midwestern State: +15 (6th)
    Nice. I admit that I am definitely surprised by some of those numbers. I'll have to take a closer look at the GAC.

ArMoFBFan asked me to post the predictions from Massey and Atomic Football when they came up, but... they never did.

However, Massey has a match-up system to pit two teams against each other. It predicts Harding with a 67% win probability, and by a score of 38-32.

Quote Originally Posted by pathos View Post
    ArMoFBFan asked me to post the predictions from Massey and Atomic Football when they came up, but... they never did.

However, Massey has a match-up system to pit two teams against each other. It predicts Harding with a 67% win probability, and by a score of 38-32.
    Thanks Pathos!

I hope Massey's match-up system is right on this game's outcome. Would love to see HU come home with the win.

Game has been postponed, announcement is on the bowl's website: http://www.texarkanabowl.com/

They are looking to reschedule.

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post
    LINK

"By Mark Haslett

Enlarge image

Saturday's Texarkana Bowl game has been canceled, with a reschedule to be determined.
    From the Texas A&M University-Commerce athletics department:
    "Due to the weather forecast for this weekend, the Live United Texarkana Bowl will be postponed. We are currently working on an alternate solution to play the game. As soon as we are to agree on some clarification and an alternate date/time, we will send out an official release with all of the information."
    The matchup features A&M-Commerce against Harding University."

Finals week is definitely going to make this a tough reschedule

Bummer.

Game has been rescheduled to Friday, 12-13-2013 at 6pm.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
    Game has been rescheduled to Friday, 12-13-2013 at 6pm.
    HU's SID just confirmed.

Game day! I'm a Harding alum here in Texarkana and I'm looking forward to seeing my guys play. 90% chance of rain at game time, so things could get messy!

Quote Originally Posted by Awk's Ford Comma View Post
    Game day! I'm a Harding alum here in Texarkana and I'm looking forward to seeing my guys play. 90% chance of rain at game time, so things could get messy!
    I think those game conditions may favor us a little bit, since we run the ball more, and Commerce is a passing team with very little run game (similar to HSU & ECU). GO BISONS!

I do get concerned with the necessary ball-handling in a triple option when the ball is slick. Harding just needs to take care of the football and get to their QB consistently, beat him up and hurry some throws. If they do those things, I like their chances.

Also, congrats to HU's FB, Romo Westbrook, on being named an All-American again. He's a handful!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast