Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brad Bigler's story

Contribute to D2

Default Brad Bigler's story

You're going to start crying at the end of this article.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ook-on-tragedy

Default Re: Brad Bigler's story

Quote Originally Posted by MSUMavMan2009 View Post
    You're going to start crying at the end of this article.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ook-on-tragedy
    You're right about that. That is quite the article and story. That is one strong family.

There is seriously something wrong with our legal system.

As a father of 2...this sickens me. I couldn't watch the video 5 seconds in. Bigler is a lot more patient then me...cause if it would have been my kid, I would be the one going to trial. It saddens me you read about people in the paper getting their 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and even 8th DWI's and its a slap on the wrist and set em free. How are these people allowed to have a driver's license? And most of the time no one will insure these people so they are uninsured yet they can drive. It makes so sense what so ever. And it saddens me that others lose their lives because someone decides to get hammered, then get in there car and drive. I feel so sorry for the Bigler family and they will never get there lives back, or Drake back, but Schoen will get another chance of drinking and getting behind the wheel for the uptenth time and still be alive. He is a sad, sad individual

Quote Originally Posted by WSUDieHard View Post
    Bigler is a lot more patient then me...cause if it would have been my kid, I would be the one going to trial. but Schoen will get another chance of drinking and getting behind the wheel for the uptenth time and still be alive. He is a sad, sad individual
    I can't explain how much that Schoen infuriates me. And the way that the legal system is set up. John is right- there is no common sense involved here.

I know that we are not supposed to take the law into our own hands. And that beating him to a pulp won't bring Drake back. And that Brad Bigler is a much better man than I am. DieHard, I agree with you- and I wouldn't blame anyone for doing that. This just makes me feel helpless and weak.

I don't remember if the article said this or not, but Bigler posted on Facebook that the sentencing hearing is tomorrow at 9:00 in Glenwood, MN.

Folks, thanks for all the kind words and prayers. Those in Marshall appreciate it all. I know Brad and Heather appreciate all NSIC fans supporting them and backing them. All I can say is Heather is one of the most decent people I have ever known and she is a ROCK. Amazing person, words can't do her justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    I don't remember if the article said this or not, but Bigler posted on Facebook that the sentencing hearing is tomorrow at 9:00 in Glenwood, MN.
    Stanger, please let us know what happens when you find out. Thanks in advance.

I understand that all the coaches from SW will be attendin' the sentencing as a show of support for Coach Bigler and his family. But it's more than just support. Coach Bigler is a GREAT guy and highly respected by his colleagues.

Such a sad story and I agree with John. There is something wrong with our justice system for letting a 3rd DUI offender who committed vehicular manslaughter could only face four years in prison (or less).

God bless Brad and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Toucanbird View Post
    Such a sad story and I agree with John. There is something wrong with our justice system for letting a 3rd DUI offender who committed vehicular manslaughter could only face four years in prison (or less).
    Completely agree with that.

I'm not an emotional guy but even I couldn't help but feel emotional while reading that. I wish there was a way to fully root for Bigler and still root against SMSU. Makes it tough.

The drunk driver who caused the July head-on crash that killed Drake Bigler, the five-month-old son of Southwest Minnesota State University head men's basketball coach Brad Bigler, was sentenced Friday morning in a packed Pope County District Courtroom.

Dana Schoen, 38, of Starbuck was sentenced to 48 months in prison for criminal vehicular homicide. On the two other counts of criminal vehicular operation, Schoen received stayed execution of sentence for 13 and 15 months. He was sentenced to three years probation with conditions, including treatment and aftercare program completion, abstain from drugs and alcohol and be subject to random testing.

He was also sentenced to pay restitution, but the amount is unknown at this time.

Drake Bigler's parents said there were mixed feelings and some frustration about the sentence and the plea bargain process.

"There are no winners in this," Brad Bigler said after Friday's court hearing.

"It seems sparse; it doesn't seem like the punishment fit the crime," Heather Bigler said.

Schoen, 38, of Starbuck, pleaded guilty in December to three counts of criminal vehicular operation. The charges he pleaded guilty to were amended charges. Schoen's plea deal included an admission of a blood-alcohol content of 0.32 percent, four times Minnesota's legal limit.

Schoen apologized on the stand Friday.

"I thought about what to say today 100 times, but I'm not sure what to say that wouldn't make matters worse," Schoen said. "I want to apologize to the Bigler familyI'm ashamed of my actions."
    http://www.marshallindependent.com/p...id/538090.html

This story really puts life into perspective.

The fact that he got 48 months for killing a kid who had almost literally his entire life ahead of him (and had a chance to make much better choices in life than Schoen ever made) just has me seething with anger. It's absolutely infuriating.

I heard that the judge said it was the most people he'd ever seen in his courtroom there to support the family

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    The fact that he got 48 months for killing a kid who had almost literally his entire life ahead of him (and had a chance to make much better choices in life than Schoen ever made) just has me seething with anger. It's absolutely infuriating.
    With you 100%.

Take out that it was an infant child even, doesn't matter how old the victim was, the fact is, Schoen took his life away and only got 4 years (max). I realize it's not first degree murder, but my god, only 4 years?? Sick.

It's a messed up system when this guy only gets 48 months. God bless the Bigler's.

48 months, out in 30 for GB. Are you kidding me?
    This guy was caught 3 times previously. How many more times do you suppose he was driving well over the legal limit and didn't get caught?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast