Thread: UIndy Travels To Ashland

Contribute to D2

Default UIndy Travels To Ashland

Four weeks from tonight, UIndy Greyhounds at Ashland Eagles.

I am going to start this post, leave it alone a week, and see if it takes off!

Default Re: UIndy Travels To Ashland

Quote Originally Posted by UIndyFootball View Post
    Four weeks from tonight, UIndy Greyhounds at Ashland Eagles.

I am going to start this post, leave it alone a week, and see if it takes off!
    Playing at home is worth at least a TD. 15 minutes to go in the first quarter and Ashland up 6-0.

Only 12 hours have passed and you've already got one on the stringer.........this thing may take off like a rocketship. The offseason is really boring, thank God for London and UIndyfootball.

Any hound fans going to make the trip?

Quote Originally Posted by richald View Post
    Was there a year ago. Working this year being a Thursday night.

Love the support building that sits in the east endzone. Wish we would have done that with our new support building. And all the fan zone areas are cool too.

You started a lot of young guys last year that should be ready to go this year. We lost our offensive and defensive superstars to graduation. Forney on offense and Dum-Wilson-Jackson on defense. Im a little concerned!

I'll be there with the family. I scheduled off work just to make it...If I ever hit the lottery I would build a stadium comparable for our high school. I love the way it sits you feel like your on top of the action.

A look at Ashland with an up comment followed by a down comment at each position:

OL: A couple young tackles that looked like they might have potential back from last year. A lot smaller than our OL and about the same size as our DL run stopper front four. Looks like they lost their tight end to graduation.

QB: A hometown HM ALL-GLIAC who is a 3 year letterwinner/starter. Talked to the dad of last years back up and believe he was planning on leaving the team.

WR: Have another HM ALL-GLIAC guy back. Plus the tall skinny guy that I heard dropped a few over the stretch of the season.

RB: The guy that scored in overtime put on 15 pounds and should pound the ball for them. The polar opposite look, Owens keeps going after the undersized quick as snot guys. Not sure it works in the GLIAC where you need speed and size.

K-P: They have a flock of guys that had the other hometown guy (ALL AMERICAN - ALL GLIAC) as a mentor to learn from - Berkshire who graduated. Last year we outpunted and outfieldgoaled Berkshire head to head and we return that punter and that kicker.

DL: The big guy is back - Meder. ALL GLIAC last year and the year before. A decent looking transfer too. Will have to count on a few unknowns to replace two seniors that were heavily counted on last year.

LB: I think they have the GLIACs number 2 tackler from 2012 in Bloom. Looks like they have moved a couple DBs into the LB position and they were thin at DB last year. Not sure what to think of this. Could be they are trying to fix a weakness.

DB: Although they moved a couple to LB, still a lot to choose from with a few guys coming back from injuries. They should be in okay shape being the first game of the season. Don´t know how a new unit could mesh to handle the skill level of Mills though.

Talking with the best QB coach I know, it´s not just Mills ability to find the open guy and keep the offense on the field but how he so often throws a perfect placed ball that has caught so many eyes. And caught so many passes. It takes a toll when your a DB that is in the right position and still get burned.

One last plus and minus for Ashland:
    Thursday night home openers bring a big crowd. They will come out pumped and revved up. We need to hang with them early.
    Potially tough news for them is an unfortunate knee injury to a guy they planned on using. Heard this last spring. Not sure who it is but will ask again if I get the chance.

Yes I am making the trip. I will be there with my Uindy shirt and my cheer stick!

Quote Originally Posted by Darolyn Ford-Davis View Post
    Yes I am making the trip. I will be there with my Uindy shirt and my cheer stick!
    Welcome to the d2 boards! First full day of practice today and Ashland trip three weeks away...going into the last three weeks who does it look will get the LB start with Davis and Peterman? Maybe Comer? Barcelona? Meyer? Hacker?

Quote Originally Posted by michiganfb View Post
    going into the last three weeks who does it look will get the LB start with Davis and Peterman? Maybe Comer? Barcelona? Meyer? Hacker?
    From Coach Bart...
    “We've got a great competition for that other linebacker spot,” noted Coach Bart. “Todd Hacker is a guy that played some football for us, but he was hurt this spring. Luke Harbers had a shoulder injury so he also missed the whole spring. Jayme Comer is a guy that played on every special team last year so he's in contention. Eddie Antonietti is another guy in contention who played on every special team last year.

“We've got some players, they just haven't played the down-in, down-out linebacker spot in terms of experience there. But they are linebacker guys that have gotten a lot of reps so we expect big things out of them.

“Again, there's a lot of competition, a lot of completion at that spot, so that's good.”
    Or maybe Corsaro!
    However, after saying that, Bartolomeo threw in a wrinkle that could change the landscape of the defensive two-deep.

“Corsaro is going to be battling at safety to get his position back,” conceded the third-year coach, “but the thing that's nice about Paul, because of the type of athlete he is, we're toying with putting him at outside linebacker a little bit and moving Peterman to inside, so we're going to see how that shapes up.

“We want to get our 11 best on the field and that's the whole key.”

From the Coaches Assoc D2 poll:

Defending-national-champion Pittsburg State took the top spot, while GLIAC-rivals Wayne State (fifth), Grand Valley State (seventh) and Hillsdale (17th) all ranked in the top 20. Two of UIndy's 2012 opponents also picked up votes, including week-10-adversary Delta State (14th) and season-opening-foe Ashland (RV).
    Indianapolis received 70 points in the preseason poll and Ashland collected six points. These teams played a year ago at AU and the Eagles won in four overtimes, 39-36. That's the longest game in Ashland football history.
    Polls don't mean much but here's the links:

http://athletics.uindy.edu/news/2012...?path=football

http://goashlandeagles.com/sports/fb...20120813eph5jw

Tony's GLIAC blog with the UIndy versus Ashland write up is here...
    http://www.d2messageboard.com/entry....ursday-s-Games

Interesting loss for us. No offense!? That hasn't happened for awhile but the penalties and turnovers hurt more. I see this game as Owens chance to show he hasn't lost his magic. Congrats to him and the Ashland program. Housewright's mobility was too much for our 4 soph defensive backs. Ban getting back from injury will help. Corsaro at safety might help organize things? With Jovonne at 75%, true frosh Campbell got his first taste of college ball! We need to find more a pass rush to help the DBs. One positive was how well our offensive line played.

Now the WayneSt vs Ashland game is even bigger! It's hard to root for Ashy but now my Greyhounds need a good season from them
    Last edited by michiganfb; 09-04-2012 at 11:09 AM.