Thread: Official 2nd Annual GAC Pick 'Em -- Rules, Sign Up, and Record Book

Contribute to D2

Default Official 2nd Annual GAC Pick 'Em -- Rules, Sign Up, and Record Book

Introduction
    I can't help but notice... it's almost time for football! And that means it's almost time for GAC Pick 'Em! Which means it is time for me to put up the rules and meaningless sign-up post!

History
    The Arkansas 4A Southwest High School Football Pick 'Em was created in 2002, our senior year in high school, by PigskinPhotog. It involved about... I don't know, eight people. And a really nice newsletter. We had a great time with it, and it just so happened we were all going to be attending GSC schools, so I decided to carry on the torch by creating the first Official GSC Pick 'Em in 2003, which involved some more people and a really not-very-nice website. 2005 was (I think) the first year I brought the pick 'em to this board, and from there it began to multiply. (Credit where credit is due: I didn't run the pick 'em one year, I think '06. PigskinPhotog did). In 2008 I decided to stop changing the rules every year and made up one final system that we still use until this day.

The list of GAC winners:
    2011: North Ala Screwdriver (22/30 conf. games, 46/64 overall, 164 points)

2012: It could be you! Or me! But probably not me, because I'm not very good.

NEW RULE!!
    There is a new rule I'm going to try this year. Some people might not like it, so feel free to voice your opinion and I may take it into account. What I was going to do is... not post the rankings after each week. I think this would keep more people playing throughout the year (instead of some people quitting because they are so far behind), and keep people from potential cheating at the end (like if you're in first, you wait until #2 puts their picks up, then you make the same picks so they can't pass you). So, that's my idea.

Now to copy-and-paste the rules from previous years.

I wanted to go ahead and post the rules and also let people know that if you want to play, just reply with something like, "I want to play!" or come up with your own unique phrase that sends the same message.

If you have any questions, just ask and I'll be glad to give you an answer sometime before the season starts.

Setup
    Every Monday (hopefully) I'll post a listing of that week's games, in order of date and time. For weeks that there is a Thursday game, I ask that all picks be in by noon on Thursday. For all other weeks, noon Friday. Honestly, that shouldn't be hard. But I know some of you are busy, so as long as your picks are in by kickoff of a particular game, I'll let it slide. It's just more helpful if they are earlier. (Note: I haven't even had a chance to look at schedules, so there may not even be any Thursday games.)

The list will look something like this:

East Central @ Southeastern Oklahoma State
    Arkansas Tech @ Harding
    Southern Arkansas @ Henderson State

Rules
    The most important rule is that you don't get the teams out of order when you post your picks, because it's the same order I use to enter them into the spreadsheet. I don't look at the team names, I just see your numbers and type them in, and I'd hate to type the wrong number in the wrong blank. Like last year, we aren't picking score, just pick the team and how much you think they'll win by. If you do put a score, I'm just going to subtract the difference for the spread. So in the above example, you could type something like this:

East Central @ Southeastern Oklahoma State, SE by 10
    Arkansas Tech @ Harding, HU by 3
    Southern Arkansas @ Henderson State, SAU by 150*

Or, just:

ECU by 6
    ATU by 19
    SAU by 264,691*

That's about it for the rules.

*-I'm capping spreads at 99 though.

Rankings
    I'm going to rank everyone by the number of conference games picked correctly. In the event of a tie, they are then ranked by the number of overall games (conference and non-conference) picked correctly. If there is another tie, they are ranked by their "points," which will be calculated like so:

If you pick Arkansas-Monticello to beat Henderson State by 21 and Arkansas-Monticello does indeed win by 21, you get 10 points. If you pick, say, Southwestern Oklahoma State to beat Henderson State by 21, but they only win by 14, you get 3 points.

As long as you are +/- 10, you'll get at least one point, but anything off by more than that, you get 0 (no negatives). Also, if the team you pick to win loses, you get no points.

I think I explained that clearly, but if not, I'll certainly be glad to illustrate more.

So, in review, conference wins, overall wins, points. If you pick all your games right, you won't have to worry about tie-breakers though. Unless, of course, everyone picks all their games right. But we'll worry about that when we get there.

Also note that if you don't provide a spread, just a team, when you make your pick, you won't get any points.

Wrap-up
    That's about it. It's not really complicated, since I do all the work, so sign up!

Record Book
    Best Conference Record
    1. 22 - North Ala Screwdriver (2011)
    1. 22 - PigskinPhotog (2011)
    3. 21 - arkanbama (2011)
    3. 21 - SamanthaRodenburgHSU (2011)
    5. 20 - Wolverlion (2011)
    5. 20 - jawhawkdaddy (2011)

Best Overall Record
    1. 46 - North Ala Screwdriver (2011)
    2. 45 - PigskinPhotog (2011)
    3. 43 - arkanbama (2011)
    3. 43 - jayhawkdaddy (2011)
    3. 43 - Wolverlion (2011)

Best Spread Picker (Most Points)
    1. 206 - PigskinPhotog (2011)
    2. 164 - North Ala Screwdriver (2011)
    3. 160 - Wolverlion (2011)
    4. 154 - arkanbama (2011)
    5. 150 - SamanthaRodenburgHSU (2011)

Best Spread Picker Average (Points/Correct Picks)
    1. 3.07 - PigskinPhotog (2011)
    2. 2.62 - goodsn4 (2011)
    3. 2.54 - Wolverlion (2011)
    4. 2.41 - North Ala Screwdriver (2011)
    4. 2.41 - arkanbama (2011)

Default Re: Official 2nd Annual GAC Pick 'Em -- Rules, Sign Up, and Record Book

I'm in!

Count me in!

I'm in

I can't do much worse than last year, I'm in!

I'm in

Hopefully I will do better this year.

Count me in! Dutchshepard! First year - will do my best to comply with the rules.

Im in!

I missed week 1 but Im in!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Cheer View Post
    I missed week 1 but Im in!
    You can still pick the rest of the games for this week.